Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Re: Trump 'paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2016' - New York Times

US 2020 election: Can Trump release his tax returns?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54323383
Donald Trump says his tax returns are currently being audited, and that he won't release them while an inspection is continuing. But there is no legal reason why the president can't release his returns while an audit is taking place, and he would be the first in almost 50 years NOT to make them available.

Is Trump under audit?

It has been common practice since the 1970s for US presidents to be audited by the IRS. It is therefore likely that President Trump's accounts have been under audit since he took office in 2017.

Even before he took office, one of Mr Trump's lawyers released a letter saying his tax returns had been under "continuous examination" since 2002.

Before running to become president, Mr Trump said: "If I decide to run for office, I'll produce my tax returns, absolutely." But he hasn't and has since said he will only do this once any audit is complete.
Can Trump release his tax returns if under audit?

Yes.

Despite it being regular practice for sitting presidents to be under audit, every president since Gerald Ford has released complete tax returns while in office. But he isn't legally obliged to release his tax returns publicly.

There is however a law stating the president must hand over his tax returns to the US Congress to be reviewed confidentially if requested.When asked about the law in April, Trump said: "No, there is no law. As you know, I got elected last time with this same issue. And while I'm under audit, I won't do it."
Maybe, one day, the law will catch up with Trump for tax evasion and he'll find himself behind bars, like Al Capone .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
US 2020 election: Can Trump release his tax returns?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54323383

Maybe, one day, the law will catch up with Trump for tax evasion and he'll find himself behind bars, like Al Capone .....
Your UNFOUNDED accusation that Trump has done anything illegal is almost funny!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Your UNFOUNDED accusation that Trump has done anything illegal is almost funny!
Exactly. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Exactly. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
Whatever happened to truth, honesty and integrity .....

Patently, Trump hasn't got a clue about their current location .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Whatever happened to truth, honesty and integrity .....

Patently, Trump hasn't got a clue about their whereabouts .....
Proof? I've seen none, just innuendo and snide unproven accusations.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 05:32 PM

Proof? I've seen none, just innuendo and snide unproven accusations.
Maybe it explains why presidents appoint senior justices Todgy??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 09:29 PM

I can't see that Trump would have engaged in tax evasion. Tax avoidance is entirely legal and anyone who doesn't take every opportunity to avoid paying tax is a mug.
Are you talking about paying no more than is legally required or paying none at all?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

28-09-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Are you talking about paying no more than is legally required or paying none at all?
If employing tax avoidance opportunities and the result is zero tax due then where's the problem?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-09-2020, 02:02 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54319948

The Times says his reports to the IRS "portray a businessman who takes in hundreds of millions of dollars a year yet racks up chronic losses that he aggressively employs to avoid paying taxes".

According to the US Bureau on Labor Statistics, the average American household paid $9,302 in federal income tax in 2018, on an average earnings figure of $78,635.
In an annual financial disclosure that he is required to make as president, President Trump said he made at least $434.9m in 2018. The newspaper disputes this, alleging that his tax returns show the president had instead gone into the red, with $47.4m in losses.

I'm no accountant but I detect a discrepancy .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-09-2020, 02:19 AM

Additional:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ump-taxes.html

Hanging over Trump is a decade-long audit battle with the Internal Revenue Service over the legitimacy of a $72.9 million tax refund that he claimed, and received, after declaring huge losses. An adverse ruling could cost him more than $100 million.
Within the next four years, more than $300 million in loans — obligations for which he is personally responsible — will come due.
Trump has reported paying taxes, in turn, on a number of his overseas ventures. In 2017, the president’s $750 contribution to the operations of the U.S. government was dwarfed by the $15,598 he or his companies paid in Panama, the $145,400 in India and the $156,824 in the Philippines.
The Times examined and analyzed the data from thousands of individual and business tax returns for 2000 through 2017, along with additional tax information from other years. The trove included years of employee compensation information and records of cash payments between the president and his businesses, as well as information about ongoing federal audits of his taxes. This article also draws upon dozens of interviews and previously unreported material from other sources, both public and confidential.

All of the information The Times obtained was provided by sources with legal access to it. While most of the tax data has not previously been made public, The Times was able to verify portions of it by comparing it with publicly available information and confidential records previously obtained by The Times.
It's a very long article but I intend to read it all .....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top