Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Modern Cars.

Hi

Are they really so much better?

They are certainly much more difficult and expensive to maintain.

I had to take mine for an MOT today, I knew it would probably fail, I have had a knocking noise from the front nearside for a few days.

A new suspension arm, cheaper than replacing the worn bush.

However, that is an aside.

There was a SEAT in, limp mode due to a faulty sensor.

The part was cheap, to get to it however they had to remove the cross member and drop the suspension.

All to get to one bolt.

How stupid is that?

Then they had to reset the engine management computer.

An expensive nightmare, the labour costs are huge.

It is not a Main Dealer, where labour costs are even higher.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

I do most of the work myself tbh. Bought a code reader as well which can save you a fortune.
You can often reset the ecu yourself, but they don't like to tell you that.

Mine only goes to a garage if it specifically needs to go up on ramps - exhaust replacement for example.
But yes, some sensors are in absurd places.

Trouble is, a lot of the electronics etc are there for efficiency / emission control etc.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I do most of the work myself tbh. Bought a code reader as well which can save you a fortune.
You can often reset the ecu yourself, but they don't like to tell you that.

Mine only goes to a garage if it specifically needs to go up on ramps - exhaust replacement for example.
But yes, some sensors are in absurd places.

Trouble is, a lot of the electronics etc are there for efficiency / emission control etc.
Hi

I envy you and others fender.

Much cleverer than me.

I cannot even put up a cooker hood without making a mess of it.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I envy you and others fender.

Much cleverer than me.

I cannot even put up a cooker hood without making a mess of it.
Some things are easy mate.
For example, when I still had my Crossfire it suddenly refused to start one morning. Turning over, but would not fire.
I plugged in the code reader and it came up with failed camshaft sensor.
I nicked the wife's car, bought a sensor from a local auto factors for fifty quid. Ten mins to replace it and car back in action.
Code readers are quite cheap these days.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Well from a safety point of view cars are much better today, it’s very rare you see a rusty ten year old car nowadays, compared to back in the 70s/ 80s, but they are much more complicated especially as a diy option, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been underneath a car, repairing something or other, I used to service and repair most of the cars I’ve owned, but now I can’t be ar#ed, and I can pay someone to do it for me
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 07:01 PM

On my car one cannot even change the battery without resetting the electronics, or so I believe. My old Moggies they were just a spanner and screwdriver job. Not even a seat belt to worry about being nicked for not wearing one, they were not fitted with them.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

07-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
On my car one cannot even change the battery without resetting the electronics, or so I believe. My old Moggies they were just a spanner and screwdriver job. Not even a seat belt to worry about being nicked for not wearing one, they were not fitted with them.
You can get a memory saver RS, quite cheap and you can change the battery without issue / resetting the ecu / losing the radio code etc. It's what the garages use.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
You can get a memory saver RS, quite cheap and you can change the battery without issue / resetting the ecu / losing the radio code etc. It's what the garages use.
Didn't know you could get one.
When i got the battery changed at the main dealer it was even cheaper than going to the well known high street outlet.

To be honest working on cars now i really can't be bothered with, not like years ago when I did car repairs in an evening saving to get married. Stripping down a car engine back then was not too hard, even down to replacing the big end bearing shells/clutch or a simple decoke.

Did a complete rebuild on a 4 door Moggie that was a non runner (Picked it up for pence and towed it home) replaces rear doors got from scrap dealer(hard to find any at the time), - suspension-engine overhaul etc etc , even down to giving it a respray.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

07-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Didn't know you could get one.
When i got the battery changed at the main dealer it was even cheaper than going to the well known high street outlet.

To be honest working on cars now i really can't be bothered with, not like years ago when I did car repairs in an evening saving to get married. Stripping down a car engine back then was not too hard, even down to replacing the big end bearing shells/clutch or a simple decoke.

Did a complete rebuild on a 4 door Moggie that was a non runner (Picked it up for pence and towed it home) replaces rear doors got from scrap dealer(hard to find any at the time), - suspension-engine overhaul etc etc , even down to giving it a respray.
I used to do similar.
I spent some time renovating & rebuilding MK3 Spitfires.
Doddle to work on. Still have all my spraying kit as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-05-2019, 07:57 PM

did the Spitfire have the same offset pedals as say the herald did ? never worked on one myself.
I hired a compressor and spray gun but had the paint ordered to the original colour. Used nitromore to remove the old paint back to bare metal before rubbing down- masking up- adding primers and topcoat etc, that took longer than repairing the mechanics'

My first car was a 1954 Ford Anglia 100e, which was the middle of the ford range of popular-anglia-prefect. Remember it cost me £125. The excitment of having ones own first car, only just passed the test in 1962?
Wish I had gone for the zephyr/zodiac instead now

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top