Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Broadband help please

I'm one of those old gits who believe in old fashion loyalty, and I've been with BT for phone & BB (not their TV package) for as long as I can remember, and I've now decided £44.99/month is a rip off.

Firstly I'm not sure I understand how their competitors operate. I've been told BT own the lines - fibre at our house - and to get a package suitable for less usage at less speed would cost me more not less! If I switched would I be connected to some different cables?

My last quarterly bill was ... £155.70
£134.97 (£44.99 X 3)
£10.50 (BT 1571 Voicemail with BT Call Protect)
£10.23 (calls)
£155.70 .................................................. .........Total

a)Calling Plan Unlimited Weekend Calls
b)Broadband Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited
c)Line Rental is now included in your package

a)I don't need Unlimited Weekend Calls
b)I don't need superfast, I don't need unlimited.

What do you think?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Re: Broadband help please

Mine with Talk talk is £34.50pm,which is still a rip off as I rarely use the landline. We don't have a very good service, slow bb and keeps disappearing.
Unlimited though, free calls to most numbers etc.

Wasn't there talk of stopping landline charges a few years ago?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Have a look at Zen - I've got Superfast Fibre (80Mbps) for £43.99 pm but their basic packages (10Mbps) are about £30 pm.

https://www.zen.co.uk/home

Switching from BT, TalkTalk, Sky or Plusnet

If you’re switching from a provider that uses the Openreach network (such as BT, TalkTalk, Sky, EE and Plusnet) then we’ll take care of everything for you. We let your old provider know that you want to cancel their service and start a new service with Zen.

Your broadband and phone could both be switched over in as little as two weeks from the date of your order.

We’ll also transfer your existing phone number to Zen, so no need to change! When leaving your current service provider, you may need to check your contract to confirm if any final fees need to be paid.
They're Which Magazine recommended .....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Mine with Talk talk is £34.50pm,which is still a rip off as I rarely use the landline. We don't have a very good service, slow bb and keeps disappearing.
Unlimited though, free calls to most numbers etc.

Wasn't there talk of stopping landline charges a few years ago?
I'm on the same Tess, however mine is fast and I rarely have a problem. Maybe it's due to location and the local exchange etc??
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:13 PM

I agree with Omah. I've been with Zen for years now, and have had very few problems.If there are any issues, you can talk to their helpline, based in the Uk, HalleLujah! I have my landline phone & broadband together, and because I don't make a lot of calls, my monthly bill is around £35 to £40 on average. They always top Which, so Zen must be doing something right by it's customers.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:13 PM

I've been with Zen for years. It just works, apparently they have very good customer service but I've never needed to use it. I haven't upgraded to fibre as the cabinet is about 50 feet away and we get 17 Mb/s which is fast enough for anything we do.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Zen is brilliant and has top reviews
In four years have never had any problems, and customer service is very good.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 05:45 PM

I'm with Talk Talk and it's £27-50 per month for superfast broadband and unlimited anytime calls....and I get 70mbps.... a good deal I think.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
I'm with Talk Talk and it's £27-50 per month for superfast broadband and unlimited anytime calls....and I get 70mbps.... a good deal I think.

Snap.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Dood

good tip
I am with BT and what i did was look up what BT quote on a comparison site for one of their packetages and bookmark one that is nearest to your requirements.

Don't stop there, next is to ring BT and quote your bookmark. Then add/ subtract what you want or don't want.

When you talk to BT bt sales just say it is too much and you will have to look elsewhere. Always pays to talk to them direct

Bt will come back with a lower quote to keep your business.

We do it every time and always get a better deal

At the end of 18 month when deal ends we do the same thing again

WE do the same with car insurance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top