Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:49 AM

Re: Apple shutting down iTunes

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Also here

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...o_kill_itunes/

I liked this comment in the article:

"Apple is aiming to make more money from services than its overpriced hardware."

Just about sums up Apple products doesn't it?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:05 AM

I won't notice its passing. There always seemed to be so many sources of music and entertainment available that I never tried iTunes, so don't know what its attractions or drawbacks are/were.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I won't notice its passing. There always seemed to be so many sources of music and entertainment available that I never tried iTunes, so don't know what its attractions or drawbacks are/were.
Ditto .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:33 AM

As an Apple Macintosh user both professionally in the printing / publishing / advertising trade and also personally, I realise that I am possibly in a minority here on this thread.

That use of Apple Macintosh devices over many years (since the early 1980s) has been very satisfactory so I can only comment as I have found.

However, as that does not include very much of iTunes I cannot really comment on that either way but thought the following links, giving more information on the recent news that Apple is to shut down iTunes, might be useful:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/it...apple-podcasts

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-06-03/...m-apples-wwdc/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
A great example of why I despise Apple.
I know it's changed a bit now, but years ago I had a lot of songs on Itunes. When I ditched Apple and bought a normal Mp3 player, it could not play the songs I transferred from Itunes. The only workaround was to burn a cd from Itunes and then rip it to Mp3.
My argument at the time was " I've bought / own these tracks, so don't bloody tell me what I can / can't play them on"
I'll never touch anything Apple again - ever!
Yes it was always far too cumbersome which put me off using it. their help pages were a nightmare too. If ever I had a problem (which was most of the time), I would try using the help facility but it just went around in circles. Absolute rubbish.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:12 AM

So does that mean that the ipod (I have the ipod touch) is now obsolete when it comes to playing music? Are there any other ways of getting music onto it? I have never really looked into it tbh.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Never really understood the whole "Apple" thing TBH. Just a company concentrating on stylish products that majored in ripping customers off with Proprietary cables and accessories whatever they manufactured.

Never owned any Apple PC/laptop or iPod or iPhone. Always stuck with Windows so never had software compatibility problems. The iterations of iPhones has imho been ridiculous but the world has been full of mugs willing to keep spending £100s on the latest greatest smart phones. Each to their own I guess. I'll continue to sit in the sun outside the cafe in my local park with a morning latte whilst these chumps keep working on the treadmill to fund their insatiable appetite for the latest gadgets.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Apple missed a huge potential profitable idea with iTunes and that was to copy a idea that Boots chemists put into practice which was to making printing your photo's easily accessible to all by having printing kiosks in their stores which allowed you to print your pictures from your digital camera (pre mobile phone camera days) by putting in your camera's digital media card (SD card or micro SD card) into the machine, select which pictures you wanted printed, pay either with cash or credit card and then wait for you pictures to be printed. Anyone remember those kiosks in boots?

Well Apple could have done the same thing with itunes. Not everyone has access to electronic payment which is what itunes requires, either via credit or debit card or through your mobile phone carrier. Not good if you only have an ipod. So, Apple could have made a itunes download kiosk that allows iphone and ipod owners to download music, paying either with their credit card or cash.

Paying by cash would have been the perfect solution for one of Apples biggest customer base, school children and teenagers. Why? because many songs on itunes are or i should say were 0.99p for a single song, or as low as £4-£5 for a complete album.

We all know school children and teenagers get money for special occasions such as birthdays and Christmas, or money for helping out with jobs around the house, or cash in hand part time work. With a kiosk it would have been so easy for these children to find the latest song from their favourite artist, connect their iphone or ipod to the machine, put their money in and download the song but unfortunately Apple made everything too complicated. You had to have an apple ID account with a credit card or debit card assigned to it and if you only had an ipod, could only download songs via wifi or when connected to your computer.

If they made downloading songs more easily accessible, i think itunes would have been still be around for many years to come.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top