Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Re: Dog breeding

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I paid £200 for my rescue collie
Got pics?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:18 PM

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Excellent, thank you!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It is the back street breeders that cause problems, proper recognised breeders don't.

Yes, a lot of 'back street breeders' are only in it for the money, and do more harm than good I agree.

But no way do I agree with the last bit Bazza.
I have already said what I feel about some of the showing fraternity breeders, and I am not wrong.

I am out of touch with the world of dog breeding now, since all my girls are now spayed, and also the KC have finally tightened up their act somewhat since the 'Pedigree Dogs Exposed' story by Jemima Harrison was made public.

However, in days past, inbreeding was common with the 'proper breeders' as you call them, just to 'fix' the desireable traits for winning more shows.
You only had to read the pedigrees to see what they were doing.

I went all the way to Doncaster once, to a well known kennel at the time, to mate one of my Shepherd bitches.
There were 4 puppes born with Epilepsy.

I asked a well known geneticist look into it for me, as it had never happened before in any of my dogs.

Turned out it was the 'proper breeder's' male which had caused it!
He had been breeding for many years, was far more experienced than I was at that time, he knew darn well what was in that male's pedigree, and was still using him anyway.
So don't talk to me about 'proper breeders' don't cause problems!

P.S. Nice picture, Muddy.
He looks good.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Free it is not. You have to pay to have a dog chipped, tagged and his round of shots. We paid about £150. Then, as a responsible owner, you need to cover ongoing veterinary care.
I paid £200 for my rescue collie
Exactly my point; because they cost you money they are valued. If my dog had a litter and I said, "Do you want one?" and gave one to you then it has no value and is more easily discarded.

Personally I think it is cruel for someone over 65 to have a puppy because the dog is likely to out live them - for example small breeds tend to live for 15 to 18 years.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:31 AM

I am not a dog owner but I agree with all that Mups has said. She has been there, done that, and knows exactly what she is talking about.

I am, however, totally against another aspect of dog and cat breeding - that of producing 'Designer dogs/cats'. It is wrong and should be stopped. When I was in Malton a couple of weeks ago I saw a weird looking heap of fur - asked it's owner what it was - a Bas-Tzu - produced by a Basset dog and a Shih-tzu bitch. Shouldn't happen!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:39 AM

They used to be called mongrels or Heinz 57 .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:41 AM

What a lovely dog, Muddy!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2019, 08:43 AM

Thank you Tabs Mups and Besoker.
He is a lovely chap .
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:14 AM

As someone who has bred, shown and worked dogs for many years, but who is now only involved in rescue, I feel very strongly that lumping all breeders together (as the Animal Rights nutters do) is shortsighted and lazy. Without the small core of responsible and ethical breeders who really are the guardians of the breeds that we love, the breeds would disappear within a very few generations. The problem lies not with these breeders (whose dogs rarely, if ever come into rescue) but with the vast majority of breeders who are greedy, irresponsible, money oriented amoral lowlives - totally unconcerned with the breeds they make money from and the implications of their breeding.

My own breed is the Siberian Husky. The handful of excellent, ethical, responsible breeders in the UK:

(i) will test their sires and dams for all the health conditions known to be prevalent in the breed. If a dog/bitch fails those tests it will not be bred from and will live as a much loved pet instead.

(ii)They will carefully check pedigrees, temperament, conformation etc to ensure that the sire and dam are compatible and likely to produce excellent pups.

(iii)Prospective buyers for the pups will be interviewed, homechecked and generally made to jump through hoops to ensure that they are suitable owners for a pup.

(iv) They will insist that the buyer signs a contract agreeing to return the pup to the breeder (at any age) if they, for whatever reason, cannot keep it.

(v) They will endorse the pup's KC registration so that if the dog is bred from, no resulting pups will be KC registered until all the appropriate health tests have been carried out.

(vi) They will always be available for help, advice, information and support for the lifetime of the dog.

Breeders who work by these guidelines are not and never have been responsible for the rescue crisis which affects so many breeds.

Those responsible are the backyard breeders, puppy farmers and, increasingly, the naive/stupid/greedy "pet breeders" who breed their poor quality bitch to any old male simply for the money they can make.
In 2007, my wife and I founded The Siberian Husky Welfare Association (UK) - SHWA(UK) for short - and since then we have rehomed almost 1500 unwanted Siberian Huskies. By helping and supporting struggling owners, we have been able to ensure that thousands more have been able to stay with their families. Of the dogs that we have rehomed, only 0.3% have been bred by breeders that we would regard as good ethical and responsible. In a couple of cases, the owner had died suddenly and the family didn't have the breeders details. In a couple more, the owners were too embarrassed to tell the breeder that they didn't want the dog any more. In all the cases involving good breeders, the breeders stepped up to their responsibilities and rehomed the dogs themselves. The other 99.97% that we have rehomed were bred by unethical, irresponsible, money-oriented 'breeders.' These are the people who need to be stopped.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top