Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 08:15 AM

Re: All the Queen's Horses.....

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
She obviously read the book our PM gave her on his recent visit and insisted all the horses look as good.

Actually I doubt they would be pure breed Shires, the males are too strong to be used as individuals they are probably bred with a smaller breed with a better temperament like Clydedales. I am guessing.

(My mother's family was one of the foremost breeders of Shires before the war - she used to tell me about them and she bore the scar where one kicked her)
Bruce the Queen breeds her own shire horses .
Usually the horses are geldings but one ( Talavera ) is a mare .
Two of the present drum horses are Perseus 17.1 hands ( shire ) and Talavera 17.3 ( shire)
Clydesdales are not a smaller breed at all one of the drum horses Ademas is a pure Clydesdale and is 19 .3 just about as tall as a horse can get.
A man I knew who used to breed Clydesdales got kicked by a foal ( it broke his leg !

There is now a society of 'drum horses ' certainly in America ( don t know about the uk I haven't heard of them)
These are smaller and are animals breed with the gipsy vanner and are more of a type than an actual breed perhaps that is what you are thinking of .

This is Perseus

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Bruce the Queen breeds her own shire horses .
Usually the horses are geldings but one ( Talavera ) is a mare .
Two of the present drum horses are Perseus 17.1 hands ( shire ) and Talavera 17.3 ( shire)
Clydesdales are not a smaller breed at all one of the drum horses Ademas is a pure Clydesdale and is 19 .3 just about as tall as a horse can get.
A man I knew who used to breed Clydesdales got kicked by a foal ( it broke his leg !

]

I am not an expert on this but I do know that Clydesdales are a much lighter breed than Shires the latter are renowned as the "world's largest horse". It might well be that geldings are rideable I don't know but my mother always said that stallions were never ridden and only used harnessed and pulling something bloody heavy. She used to ride the mares (sidesaddle).

But I bow to you and Mr Google's superior knowledge of heavy horses.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 04:28 PM

Bruce I have worked with horses all of my life .
Including shire horses .
I don't need to google what I know
These are huge heavy horses and like all horses some are playful and others quiet and like any horse need to be trained .
It takes a good few years of patient training to become a drum horse
A large horse hurts more when it treads on your toe.

A Clydesdale is generally as tall or taller its more ' on the leg ' than shires ie the shire has a more barrel like appearance .
I would certainly not describe them as a light horse .

Many male horses are gelded unless being kept for breeding as this makes them more tractable and trainable .

There are many exceptions to this.

Ie There are many stallion in dressage because the stallion generally has greater presence .

In Spain and other countries many people ride Stallions for their proud and spirited demeanour .

People like an eye catching mount .

In Arabic countries mares were more prized as they could sneak up on the enemy quietly . Stallions are noisy and would betray an ambush

They are all beautiful to me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top