Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Re: Dash cam failed

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
– Snip –

I suppose there are people who steal them but they must be pretty desperate to steal something of such minor value like a dash cam or a satnav. Can't imagine it myself.
If you do not have this problem in Australia then you are very lucky. Here in the UK it's commonplace that some people will break into cars to steal anything of any value.

I used to publish and produce a local magazine in which there was space for local police to give out useful information. They were forever asking motorists to ensure nothing was left on display in the car, such as sat. navs. etc. Even the tell-tale ring left on the windscreen should be cleaned off or the car could be broken into, the thief thinking the sat. nav. was hidden in the car. Anything, even of 'minor value', would give a 'druggie' £10 or £20 for their next 'fix'. It's often drugs that leads a lot of the crime we have to put up with.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My Nextbase suddenly decided some weeks ago to bleep that the power was getting to it (warning of low battery). This was in my sister's car so I presumed the plug didn't fit her cigarette lighter. When I drove up to Suffolk some weeks later it worked ok, but then did the same on the journey home (low battery warning). So now I have the problem, in, do I bin it (was expensive).
I've had battery problems with Nextbase cams - a workaround, not necessarily a solution, is to connect the cam to a PC for a couple of hours (more if possible) to give the battery a full charge.

Nextbase may supply a new battery on request (not necessarily, though) but it will need to be fitted using a soldering iron.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 11:22 AM

I hard wired the dashcam in the Nissan using a piggyback onto the heated seat fuse. On the Honda of Sues I could not find a suitable fuse so had to go for the plug/socket option instead.

Hard wiring is so much better if possible and the option to go for
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I hard wired the dashcam in the Nissan using a piggyback onto the heated seat fuse. On the Honda of Sues I could not find a suitable fuse so had to go for the plug/socket option instead.

Hard wiring is so much better if possible and the option to go for

Aren't dashcams 5v then?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 01:31 PM

12-24 volt compatible as printed on box
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Do you have to have sound on with a dash cam or is there somewhere you can turn it off? My friend was saying the other day she doesn't like her conversations being recorded. To be honest I'm not sure if mine even does record sound just thought I'd ask whilst we are on the subject of dashcams
I can turn the audio off on mine. Just as well, some of the colourful language and invective that I'm sometimes forced to use would make a docker blush.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've had battery problems with Nextbase cams - a workaround, not necessarily a solution, is to connect the cam to a PC for a couple of hours (more if possible) to give the battery a full charge.

Nextbase may supply a new battery on request (not necessarily, though) but it will need to be fitted using a soldering iron.
Good thinking, thanks. I'll try that.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Realised when I was in bed, wondering if the power cable is usb at the end, or goes into the car plug? I’ll have to check.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Well, had the cam fitted yesterday at halfrauds, actually the young lad has done a good job, seems to work well although I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet, bit of a scare last night trying to find a hotel on the way to Cornwall when the cars sat nav lost gps, had to use mrs p,s phone, all working today though, so we’ll see...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I use tiny Mobius Action cams which are about £55 a pop. The size of a matchbox. They sit discretely under the sun visor and are not visible from outside without a really close look.

They film full HD quality on loop. I use a big enough data card to give me 10 hours worth of continuous recording in 3min chunks. That's full HD quality at I think 30fps. I could increase to 60fps if needed but the quality at 30 is superb.

There's just no need at all to have a dashcam with a built in screen. Just pointless imho.
Me too.

I agree that a screen is not essential. I should mention that, unlike some dashcams, they don't have GPS either but that is not really necessary in my view. If there is an insurance claim the recording locality you claim can easily be checked - using Google Earth, for example.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top