Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Student on holiday in Bahamas killed by three sharks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48784745

A 21-year-old student has been killed by three sharks while on holiday in the Bahamas with her family.

Jordan Lindsey was snorkelling at the time and reportedly couldn't hear warnings from her parents while she was in the water.

It's thought her right arm was ripped off and she was also bitten on her other arm, legs, and buttocks.

Jordan, from California, was taken to hospital but pronounced dead on 26 June, according to local police.

In a tribute, her family say "Jordan had the most beautiful, gentle soul and she will be missed deeply.

"She was a beloved daughter, sister, girlfriend, and friend."

Jordan's family have set-up a GoFundMe page to cover her funeral and costs to bring her body back to California.

She was studying communications at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.
Apparently, shark attacks are rare in the Bahamas but I would imagine that a concerted attack by THREE sharks is even rarer .....

The shock and trauma experienced by the poor girl's parents must have been, and probably remains, profound .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Re: Student on holiday in Bahamas killed by three sharks

The poor girl, such a tragic thing to happen

What a terrible ordeal for her parents to witness, that will be with them forever.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:55 PM

How terrible for all concerned...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:42 AM

How tragic! I can't imagine how difficult this will be for the family to lose this girl in such a violent way.

There are a lot of strange things about this attack. I have never heard of three sharks attacking before. I wonder whether or not there was baiting going on to attract other fish to the snorkeling area? I wonder whether or not she had anything with her to try to feed dolphins or fish? What kind of sharks were there in the area? Was there any sewage runoff nearby? Were they in a breeding area?

As horrible as it was, the one thing I know about shark bites is that you go into shock almost immediately, so I am sure she slipped out of awareness very quickly. I hope the family can find a sliver of peace in that.

We have sharks here, but attacks here are extraordinarily rare. I am still surfing.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:36 AM

More details are becoming available:

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...bb0ee6030b305e

Jordan Lindsey, 21, from California, was snorkelling with Rose Island’s swimming pigs when she was cornered by the trio of tiger sharks.

The attack is thought to be the first shark-related fatality in the Bahamas for over 10 years.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
How tragic! I can't imagine how difficult this will be for the family to lose this girl in such a violent way.

There are a lot of strange things about this attack. I have never heard of three sharks attacking before. I wonder whether or not there was baiting going on to attract other fish to the snorkeling area? I wonder whether or not she had anything with her to try to feed dolphins or fish? What kind of sharks were there in the area? Was there any sewage runoff nearby? Were they in a breeding area?

As horrible as it was, the one thing I know about shark bites is that you go into shock almost immediately, so I am sure she slipped out of awareness very quickly. I hope the family can find a sliver of peace in that.

We have sharks here, but attacks here are extraordinarily rare. I am still surfing.
Rather you than me .
I used to water ski in the tropics and always wondered ( when I fell off the skis and was waiting for the boat to come back for me ) if Jaws wouldn't get me first !

Poor girl her life so short and to end so badly .
The family will never recover from this .
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 11:27 AM

How tragic. The poor family grieving.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Rather you than me .
I used to water ski in the tropics and always wondered ( when I fell off the skis and was waiting for the boat to come back for me ) if Jaws wouldn't get me first !

Poor girl her life so short and to end so badly .
The family will never recover from this .
Ha, understand. When the small sharks, about a meter, start waking my surfboard, I am very careful about not falling off and usually wrap it up for the day. They aren't aggressive, but they tend to get grumpy when some stupid human fall on their heads.

I feel the same way about heavy traffic - all but the falling-on-their heads part.

We have had eleven people here who have drowned in the surf since March. It's riptides that are more apt to get you than the big fish.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 03:48 PM

I can't imagine the parents ever getting over witnessing such a tragedy. The poor girl, what an awful end to her short life.

SM you be careful out there. x
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 03:36 AM

You have to get it in proportion.

You're more likely to have a fatal accident driving to the beach than being attacked by a shark.

There have been 7 shark attacks in Australian waters so far this year - none fatal.

https://taronga.org.au/conservation-...rk-attack-file

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top