Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 08:51 PM

microsoft password

can someone tell me why I have never been able to sign in to Microsoft?
whatever password I make it refuses it the next time .
Drives me insane
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:13 PM

Re: microsoft password

Is this of any help ? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-sign-in-cant
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 08:14 AM

My own way of trying to overcome this would be to reset the password again to something complicated such as /Miw6#he9j2Wj and copy this password to a text file. Store the file in some obscure place in the file system on the computer. Copy the file to a USB stick to be sure the file containing the password doesn't get lost.

After creating the password, try logging into your Microsoft account using it. Rather than type in the password, copy paste it from the text file. It comes out as dots when pasted but that's OK.

See if that way of entering the password is a bit more consistent when you come to use it on future occasions.

Edit: A security measure. When a password is copied in this way, it gets stored on the Clipboard. Once it has been pasted, remove it from the Clipboard by copying any random word or a few letters (from anywhere) this will overwrite the password stored on the Clipboard so that it can't be read by any means.

Another thought. Do you have more than one Microsoft account set up? If so are you using the right password for the particular account you are trying to log into?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 09:29 AM

I don't wish to add confusion but ...

Have you tried no password at all? I have my W10 laptop set up like this. Whereas my main computer, W8 originally, asked for a complicated one when I first set it up ... uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols. I didn't bother with a pw when setting up the laptop.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 11:31 AM

I set my Desktop computer up so that no password is needed to get in (using netplwiz) but to do this, I had to enter my password to give myself permission to start the computer up without a password.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't wish to add confusion but ...

Have you tried no password at all? I have my W10 laptop set up like this. Whereas my main computer, W8 originally, asked for a complicated one when I first set it up ... uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols. I didn't bother with a pw when setting up the laptop.
My windows 10 just does as it pleases.... changes all the time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
My own way of trying to overcome this would be to reset the password again to something complicated such as /Miw6#he9j2Wj and copy this password to a text file. Store the file in some obscure place in the file system on the computer. Copy the file to a USB stick to be sure the file containing the password doesn't get lost.

After creating the password, try logging into your Microsoft account using it. Rather than type in the password, copy paste it from the text file. It comes out as dots when pasted but that's OK.

See if that way of entering the password is a bit more consistent when you come to use it on future occasions.

Edit: A security measure. When a password is copied in this way, it gets stored on the Clipboard. Once it has been pasted, remove it from the Clipboard by copying any random word or a few letters (from anywhere) this will overwrite the password stored on the Clipboard so that it can't be read by any means.

Another thought. Do you have more than one Microsoft account set up? If so are you using the right password for the particular account you are trying to log into?
Good tips thanks.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2019, 02:38 PM

IIRC, MS on my laptop PC kept asking for a password but I could never stop it until I reset the PC, which erases lots of personal programs and data, so I wouldn't recommend that but you might get some ideas from this article:

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12429

Online assistance (Virtual Agent) is available.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 03:34 PM

Thank you everyone .
I will try these when I have the mental strength .
The computer is a frustrating and mysterious beast to me .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top