Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Would you bow/curtesy?

Much is being made in certain news feeds of the fact that Nicola Sturgeon did not curtesy when meeting the Queen today.

Although I am not a fan of NS, nor do I have any wish for Scotland to leave the UK, I certainly would not be inclined to curtesy before any member of the RoyalvFamily.

What about you?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Re: Would you bow/curtesy?

She didn't refuse to curtsy...She just chose not to.

The Scottish National Party leader, 48, has proved reluctant to perform a traditional bob as a mark of respect, preferring instead a bow from the neck that is more commonly used by men. The greeting was in stark contrast to Theresa May’s awkward-looking curtsy last year that experts said was too deep and “made her look like a Victorian chimney sweep with rickets”. Officials say there is no formal need for men to bow or women to curtsy for the Queen.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:11 PM

I actually did not state that she refused to curtesy - merely that she did not!

I also assumed that anyone who replied to this post would actually respond with an answer to my question.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Last Tango.

NO!!...I would not curtesy to any royalty.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

04-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Ditto, Pauline.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:20 PM

LOL,is that a demand?....No I wouldn't..but then I have arthritic joints so curtsying would be out...not that there would ever be any time in My Life where I would meet any Member of the Royal Family anyway...hope that answers Your question...(Methinks You quickly edited Your op)
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

04-07-2019, 07:22 PM

No edit necessary on OP but glad we agree on something.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:26 PM

I would not curtsy, as it would feel awkward for me.
I would probably briefly dip my head as a mark of respect when greeting her.
That’s how I greet most people I don’t know well when we meet, whether I’m passing the time of day as we pass in the street or meeting them for business purposes etc, whether they are a Duke or a Dustman.

I’ve always understood that The Queen is not bothered about curtseys and bows, she would prefer people to feel comfortable about meeting her and choose whatever mode of greeting they feel comfortable with.

(Although I don’t suppose she would be too impressed if you tried to give her a High Five and shouted “Wotcha Liz!” ! )
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 07:35 PM

No I would not , maybe in my younger naive days when i believed others were better than me ,but not as an older wiser woman of the world , i would not bow to anyone , we are all equal , money and status , crowns and jewels do not make them any better than me . But, i am respectful
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

04-07-2019, 07:41 PM

My thoughts exactly, Susan.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top