Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Re: Would you bow/curtesy?

Folks have to compromise, if they want the old world back.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:01 PM

It always looks such an ungainly move for a woman to make. I'm fearful watching women curtseying, that they will go ass over tip, while doing it! Surely in these days of equality, a short bow, like for the men, would suffice.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:15 PM

If it is bowing you want, just spend a couple of weeks in Japan and you will find yourself doing it as well
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:17 PM

In all seriousness, I do like it when women curtsy.

Not at all like Treason May did, of course, but a very slight one.

Put the right foot behind the left, bend both knees slightly keeping the back straight and upright.

It can look absolutely genteel and traditional without appearing subservient.

Mind you, I am a traditional and yearn for the old days.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If it is bowing you want, just spend a couple of weeks in Japan and you will find yourself doing it as well
Even easier in India. Just put the hands together briefly, like praying.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I would probably put my back out if I tried to curtesy

I would most likely acknowledge the Queen with a delicate nod of my head and a smile.
I.d be happy to accept that nod and smile
Much love
The Queen .....Lion Queen teehee
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.d be happy to accept that nod and smile
Much love
The Queen .....Lion Queen teehee
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 12:36 AM

I already have bowed to her - in 1958 (I think it was) I was one of the kids from the local primary schools chosen to greet the Queen when she returned from an overseas tour and visited Folkestone Town Hall.

Wouldn't bother now.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 02:16 AM

When I started work at my current firm many miserable years ago, Princess Anne came to visit. We were told to bow as in nod politely. I gave only the slightest of a nod and got bollocked for it afterwards. I told my boss it wasn't anything to do with being disrespectful, I was merely starstruck! I got away with it

Before that when I was in the RAF I was always having to salute officers of course, and as my first base was Northolt, i.e. 'Queen's Flight', there were many "important" people flying from the base.
When I was on guard duty we were always warned beforehand which cars contained Royals - usually those with flags on and always saluted. The Queen, Princess Di and many others were subjected to my manly salute.

The one I remember the most was the absolutely lip-bitingly awful time when we were inspected on a parade by none other than Margaret Thatcher. It took all my guts and willpower to salute her. She even stopped and spoke to me saying "My goodness, you're tall aren't you?" I said "Yes". How bloody obvious!
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 03:07 AM

I'm not British but I'm quite sure that by now, the Queen recognizes one's showing of respect, whether they fall to their knees or incline their head in a respectful nod. I'm sure that she'd prefer the latter demonstration.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top