Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 09:20 AM

Chromecast problem.

Google have stopped supporting laptops when it comes to downloading the Chromecast app(Google home app). Fine if you have a smartphone or tablet.... but I don't.

All has been working OK with chromecast since buying it last October. It has needed a reboot a couple of times but each time I managed to find an app which could be downloaded to my laptop. I can't find that app anymore, they must have removed it. After a recent power cut, the chromecast rebooted and I just get a message saying 'you have no devices' when attempting a download.

I decided to try my ipod touch to download the app but it is too old to be updated to version 9. (thanks Apple )

So basically, I have no way of downloading the set up app unless I buy a new 'device.'

Does anyone have any ideas on a work around? Lots of angry customers out there but no solutions. Google refuse to help anyone as usual. Surely these were sold under false pretences?

cheers!'
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Re: Chromecast problem.

Is there no way of upgrading your iPod Touch to a later OS, if you could do that then you may be able to use Chromecast again as it would be accepted on the new OS on your iPod?

I know nothing about Chromecast or the iPod Touch but do use Apple, a MacBook Pro and a 27" iMac and have on occasions had that same problem with online banking due to not using the latest browser, which compromises the bank's security requirements.

Apple are usually quite good for allowing upgrades on the devices I have, considering both were purchased in 2011 and can still be upgraded to the latest OS.

Edited to add – by too old for version 9 do you mean Mac OS version 9 or the Chromecast version? Both my Macs are now eight years' old and on almost the latest OS and can still be updated to the new one coming out this autumn:

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/catalina-preview/
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Is there no way of upgrading your iPod Touch to a later OS, if you could do that then you may be able to use Chromecast again as it would be accepted on the new OS on your iPod?

I know nothing about Chromecast or the iPod Touch but do use Apple, a MacBook Pro and a 27" iMac and have on occasions had that same problem with online banking due to not using the latest browser, which compromises the bank's security requirements.

Apple are quite good for allowing upgrades on the devices I have, considering both were purchased in 2011 and can still eight years' on be upgraded to the latest OS.
Hi Baz.

I think that's what I attempted (can't quite remember what I did because this all happened a few weeks ago). I'm pretty sure I need version 9 on the ipod but I can get no higher than 6.

It might be worth me having another try though, perhaps a version 8 might work.

thanks.

Just checked.... I need OS 11
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 09:45 AM

I've just edited my original post, apologies, added info. about latest OS. How old is your IPod Touch? Usually you can get onto Apple's website and it will tell you which models of any Apple device can be upgraded to the latest OS. A Google search would find this I expect. I know that when I've wanted to upgrade the information about the upgrade also includes which models and by year of manufacture can be upgraded.

Try this Apple advice page:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209051
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2019, 10:22 AM

I've just edited my original post, apologies, added info. about latest OS. How old is your IPod Touch? Usually you can get onto Apple's website and it will tell you which models of any Apple device can be upgraded to the latest OS. A Google search would find this I expect. I know that when I've wanted to upgrade the information about the upgrade also includes which models and by year of manufacture can be upgraded.

Try this Apple advice page:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209051
I think it's about 2009/2010 (the model numbers do not seem to match mine).

Tried updating the OS again but it will not let me do it.

Thanks for your reply though Baz.
Baz46

09-07-2019, 10:35 AM

I wonder if it might be worth contacting Apple support online, there's a contact for them on that last website I gave. That would at least confirm it one way or another.

Just a thought, if you do have to go in for another device and I know they are costly, unfortunately, have you thought about used Apple devices if cost is an issue. They are often to be found and usually have been checked out and sorted with the latest OS installed, even with a limited guarantee. Another way is to look for those being resold after being returned to a supplier as not wanted so are sold at cheaper prices. Those are often in the original but opened box.

Good luck anyway with whatever you do, hope it works out for you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2019, 10:56 AM

I wonder if it might be worth contacting Apple support online, there's a contact for them on that last website I gave. That would at least confirm it one way or another.

Just a thought, if you do have to go in for another device and I know they are costly, unfortunately, have you thought about used Apple devices if cost is an issue. They are often to be found and usually have been checked out and sorted with the latest OS installed, even with a limited guarantee. Another way is to look for those being resold after being returned to a supplier as not wanted so are sold at cheaper prices. Those are often in the original but opened box.

Good luck anyway with whatever you do, hope it works out for you.
Thanks Baz.

I wasn't really looking to buy another device particularly as Apple are stopping itunes too () but I take your point about the second hand ones. I suppose a secondhand ipod would be better as there would be no subscription.

I suppose I could always nab someone going past the house and get them to download it.

Once it is set up, you no longer need the device to cast from the lappy to the TV.
Baz46

09-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Baz.

I wasn't really looking to buy another device particularly as Apple are stopping itunes too () but I take your point about the second hand ones. I suppose a secondhand ipod would be better as there would be no subscription.

I suppose I could always nab someone going past the house and get them to download it.

Once it is set up, you no longer need the device to cast from the lappy to the TV.
On that first link I gave there was the following text:

"And rest assured: everything you had in your iTunes library is still accessible in each app. iCloud seamlessly syncs everything across your devices — or you can back up, restore and sync by connecting the device directly to your Mac."

Again, as with Chromecast and iPods I know nothing about these but saw that text and thought it might be useful to you to know.

With some Mac devices, my iMac is one at the moment, it's not always possible to do an upgrade from the current OS you have installed. However, it's possible to do a completely new clean installation of the latest OS. This is done by deleting the existing OS, copying it first onto an external drive just in case of problems then you can revert to it, and then you install the new OS complete (after perhaps finding it on the Apple website or elsewhere?)

My iMac is running an older OS as the publishing software I have on there, from when I worked for myself before retiring, probably will not work on a new one so I have just left it. Checking out the latest operating systems a few weeks' ago I noticed that I cannot upgrade to the latest OS from that one but can from another one providing that is a clean install. Basically the OS allows (or doesn't allow) an upgrade but sometimes when it doesn't a new OS is possible but only with a clean install.

Isn't life complicated sometimes!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2019, 07:52 PM

On that first link I gave there was the following text:

"And rest assured: everything you had in your iTunes library is still accessible in each app. iCloud seamlessly syncs everything across your devices — or you can back up, restore and sync by connecting the device directly to your Mac."

Again, as with Chromecast and iPods I know nothing about these but saw that text and thought it might be useful to you to know.

With some Mac devices, my iMac is one at the moment, it's not always possible to do an upgrade from the current OS you have installed. However, it's possible to do a completely new clean installation of the latest OS. This is done by deleting the existing OS, copying it first onto an external drive just in case of problems then you can revert to it, and then you install the new OS complete (after perhaps finding it on the Apple website or elsewhere?)

My iMac is running an older OS as the publishing software I have on there, from when I worked for myself before retiring, probably will not work on a new one so I have just left it. Checking out the latest operating systems a few weeks' ago I noticed that I cannot upgrade to the latest OS from that one but can from another one providing that is a clean install. Basically the OS allows (or doesn't allow) an upgrade but sometimes when it doesn't a new OS is possible but only with a clean install.

Isn't life complicated sometimes!
Very! Although I understand what you are saying (Just) it is something I can look into though. Tbh, I'm not that bothered about itunes, I hardly ever use it now anyway.

thanks for the info.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top