Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Show dogs.

Have you ever bred dogs for show?

Could anyone show their dogs?

Do they have to be a pedigree ?

Mups.i know you are a dog lover..have ever taken your dogs to dog shows?

Or do you think it's cruel?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Re: Show dogs.

Personally I think people's opinions on dog shows are changing. At one time, i would have been happy to go to a dog show such as Crufts but more recently, I am not so keen on the way they are fussed over, fluffing their fur up etc. In fact, I don't really like to see that in any animal tbh.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:22 PM

We showed Afghan hounds for many years. As for showing it depends on the type of show a dog is allowed to enter.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I was brought up the the Dog Club World and can still wheel a dog with the best of them. We had Old English Sheepies and we did show one of them she was a beauty but we were far more into the Obedience side. I'm still a Member of 2 Dog Clubs one in Perth and one in Caithness. The dog I have now spent 3 years at the obedience classes, I was only going to do the basics but he thrived on it and we went right through from beginners to advanced He also did Agility, I didn't know how he's get on with it because of his size but again he had a ball. The only piece of equipment that really worried me was the high Dog Walk, I was worried he's slip but he never did and went along it at a fair old lick. We still get asked to help out at Demos these days so it keeps my hand and his paw in. The day he stops enjoying it is the day I will retire him, but until then...…

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally I think people's opinions on dog shows are changing. At one time, i would have been happy to go to a dog show such as Crufts but more recently, I am not so keen on the way they are fussed over, fluffing their fur up etc. In fact, I don't really like to see that in any animal tbh.

Must take a lot of commitment don't you think...I like to see the obedience,I think that is quite important also.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

16-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We showed Afghan hounds for many years. As for showing it depends on the type of show a dog is allowed to enter.

I bet that was a lot of hard word..plus grooming..they were a very popular breed at one time.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

16-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was brought up the the Dog Club World and can still wheel a dog with the best of them. We had Old English Sheepies and we did show one of them she was a beauty but we were far more into the Obedience side. I'm still a Member of 2 Dog Clubs one in Perth and one in Caithness. The dog I have now spent 3 years at the obedience classes, I was only going to do the basics but he thrived on it and we went right through from beginners to advanced He also did Agility, I didn't know how he's get on with it because of his size but again he had a ball. The only piece of equipment that really worried me was the high Dog Walk, I was worried he's slip but he never did and went along it at a fair old lick. We still get asked to help out at Demos these days so it keeps my hand and his paw in. The day he stops enjoying it is the day I will retire him, but until then...…

You can see he's enjoying it...thanks for sharing,Rox.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 12:00 AM

I did Obedience training and competition work for many years.
Never done Agility, or Flyball, but most dogs seem to love the active fun with their owners.

I have never been remotely interest in breed showing.
That to me, has always seemed more about prestige for the owners more than fun for the dogs.

To have to be continually titivated and groomed to perfection, not a hair allowed out of place, then a stranger (the Judge) groping their 'privates' to check their bits, can't be much of a fun day out for the dog IMO.
A walk round the ring, then stuck back in a cage or benched till its time for the drive home, cannot possibly be as enjoyable for the dog as retrieving a ball, finding exciting scents, or haring round an agility course.

The number of show people who used to mate close relatives of dogs just to obtain a 'perfect' look to impress the Judge, I always found totally shameful.

I will never condone breeding for looks, at the expense of their health.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

17-07-2019, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I did Obedience training and competition work for many years.
Never done Agility, or Flyball, but most dogs seem to love the active fun with their owners.

I have never been remotely interest in breed showing.
That to me, has always seemed more about prestige for the owners more than fun for the dogs.

To have to be continually titivated and groomed to perfection, not a hair allowed out of place, then a stranger (the Judge) groping their 'privates' to check their bits, can't be much of a fun day out for the dog IMO.
A walk round the ring, then stuck back in a cage or benched till its time for the drive home, cannot possibly be as enjoyable for the dog as retrieving a ball, finding exciting scents, or haring round an agility course.

The number of show people who used to mate close relatives of dogs just to obtain a 'perfect' look to impress the Judge, I always found totally shameful.

I will never condone breeding for looks, at the expense of their health.

I don't know anything about showing dogs....I just get the feeling that they can make money from it,....

Like breeding their dogs from the winners of the show dog competition ...wouldn't they have to pay to do that?

What about a crufts champion ?...what is their future after they have reached that stage.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I don't know anything about showing dogs....I just get the feeling that they can make money from it,....

Like breeding their dogs from the winners of the show dog competition ...wouldn't they have to pay to do that?

What about a crufts champion ?...what is their future after they have reached that stage.
It simply means they can charge an awful lot of money for stud fees if it's a boy, and charge an arm and a leg for pups if it's a girl. They also a KC entry on their Pedigree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top