Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:51 AM

Re: American flag

That was an interesting read.

Here is a paraphrase of the U.S. code on flag display here:

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Good rules, but no enforcement other than fellow citizens fussing at one another about disrespecting it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 01:06 AM

Surfermom

I have travelled fairly extensively visiting more countries than most members on here I suspect.

So far the most annoying is the Egyptians.walk down any street in Egypt and you get pestered constantly with street sellers -beggers and pickpocketing is a way of life for them .

Brazil also can be a very dangerous place if travelling alone. Even my Daughter in laws father was held up at gun point while at the traffic lights. Been there several times
Then say Tunisia we went when it was just being opened up to the tourist trade, carried on and didn't make any effort to engage with us.

Sicily -Germany- Norway- Latvia- Denmark- Russsia- Lithuania- Sweden -Finland- Japan-South Korea -Greece etc seemed decent enough. Have to mention China -the tour guides really made an effort to see we enjoyed their country. Nothing was too much for them. Also been to several countries in the Caribbean -Barbados- Aruba-Cayman Islands-Tortola- St Lucia-St Maarten for example

No doubt I have missed out some countries in the list we have been to. oh yes did a quick trip into Argentina-stayed in Brittany and also in Spain for a week or so in each, forgot those as some round the Med sea we did twice

next year Already booked

https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk...est/index.html
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am happy that my fellow Americans were friendly, realspeed. I've heard likewise about the people in the UK and Ireland. You and Sue would certainly get a generous serving of hospitality from me !

Just beware that there might be a flag waving on the front porch .

Since Keezoy is online, I have to say the exact same about Australians. Good luck with that flag situation, btw!
Thanks for that Surfermom. Yes I have always found Americans to be very friendly and hospitable. Ive been there a lot and I've only struck a tiny few that were not. You are a proud people and have every right to be proud of your flag. You could easily be dismissive, rude, superior and condescending like some other nationalities have a tendency to be. But you are not. Even New Yorkers! YOu are generous with visitors, eager to please and always inquisitive and interested about where they are from. Anybody who is as simplistically dismissive of a people as to accuse them of "Jingoism"..or rampant nationalism simply because they love their flag is a prisoner to cynicism IMO.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 02:06 AM

One thing that is different between us is our sense of humour. It gets lost half way across the Atlantic ocean. My original post proves it
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=realspeed;1746249]One thing that is different between us is our sense of humour. It gets lost half way across the Atlantic ocean.

I've done one powerful whole lot of travelling as well. Many Australians do. I take cultures as I find them. Warts and all. In defence of Americans their sense of humour doesn't get lost in Hawaii on it's way to us. And they seem to just love trying to make sense of ours. And the Pacific Ocean makes the Atlantic look like what you call it. A Pond.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
One thing that is different between us is our sense of humour. It gets lost half way across the Atlantic ocean. My original post proves it
Haha, no, not at all. I got it right of the mark, hope it didn't get muddled on the way back!

Interacting with people is one of the best parts of travel. Although I have been to most of North and Central America, along with essentially all of the Caribbean, this upcoming trip will be my first one in which I've really been immersed in the culture since I traveled to Russia. I am tickled pink!

I happen to live in a tourist area that sees a massive influx of visitors in the summer and snowbirds in the winter, which has afforded me a good education on the joys and irritations of visitors. From that I hope I have learned the nuances of being a respectful and appreciative traveler. I am every realizing that while I am vacationing, most of the locals I encounter are working and often struggling with all of the stressors involved (like bad tourist drivers) of getting through their days. It's no secret that we are guests in what is essentially a very big house, and all the good things our mothers taught us in someone else's house still apply.

When it comes right down to it, 99% of people are decent, hardworking, and proud to share their country and culture.

Watch out Australia, you are next .

Fantastic itinerary, realspeed!
keezoy
Australia

16-07-2019, 03:41 AM

Haha, no, not at all. I got it right of the mark, hope it didn't get muddled on the way back!

Interacting with people is one of the best parts of travel. Although I have been to most of North and Central America, along with essentially all of the Caribbean, this upcoming trip will be my first one in which I've really been immersed in the culture since I traveled to Russia. I am tickled pink!

I happen to live in a tourist area that sees a massive influx of visitors in the summer and snowbirds in the winter, which has afforded me a good education on the joys and irritations of visitors. From that I hope I have learned the nuances of being a respectful and appreciative traveler. I am every realizing that while I am vacationing, most of the locals I encounter are working and often struggling with all of the stressors involved (like bad tourist drivers) of getting through their days. It's no secret that we are guests in what is essentially a very big house, and all the good things our mothers taught us in someone else's house still apply.

When it comes right down to it, 99% of people are decent, hardworking, and proud to share their country and culture.

Yes there's a few places there I haven't been so I'll take Realspeed's word for it. And yes Surfermum..Can't wait!..We'll get the spare room ready
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 07:18 AM

There is absolutely no pressure here to change the flag. There was a competition many years ago during the republican push to design a new flag but the results were mediocre and it just died a death because of lack of interest. I think most people are happy with the Australian flag, Union flag and all.

It's the National Anthem that needs changing there is certainly a rising, but not overwhelming, pressure for that (likewise Australia Day) - I suspect both those things will happen before the flag is changed.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I love the way the American's display their flag at every opportunity. If only we could be that patriotic here in England.
Two years ago a retired naval vet flew the English St George's flag in his garden and was told to take it down as it may upset the non English people living in the area.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 08:26 AM

I was most impressed using (or should it be 'useing'? ) the NY underground especially after seeing the American flag emblazoned on every carriage. When in Florida, I kept getting asked if I was Australian and whether I wanted 'Links' for breakfast.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top