Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 03:28 PM

What a Palava

This is a scratch someone inflicted on my sons new car, it is on the plastic bumper.

So, two weeks ago I got in touch with the well known "Chips Away" company who via Email put me into contact with their local franchisee. The quote was for £125.00, but with an appointment waiting time of twelve days. The quote was accepted and my son arranged for his car to be at home (local to the address used in the quotation period) on the date required. during the course of last week, my sons opposite number at work went off sick, so, the son had to cover her by starting early each day, at 3.00pm on the afternoon before the appointment (8.00am the next day) the son text me to say can I cancel the appointment because of the situation at his work, I said, no way at this late hour, its not fair on the geezer who would not be able to cover the appointment with another client, so, I told him to get onto his insurance, and take out a 24 hour insurance policy on the wife's car so he could bring his car home that evening and take the wife's car for the next day, this he did at a cost of £30.00. One hour later at 4.00pm on the same afternoon I got an Email off the paint chap saying he would have to cancel the following days appointment because rain was forecast, so much for doing the right thing hey, £30.00 for nothing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 03:36 PM

Re: What a Palava

Time was that they used to sell paint-patches to cover minor scratches like that. The patches were on sheets of paper in a range of different shapes to match any scrapes. Place the patch over the scrape, peel off the paper backing, and after leaving the patch to harden, blend in with a bit of T-Cut or similar.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 03:44 PM

I had a scratch like that on a new car l had years ago. I thought it may have been caused by a bike pedal as it was so low down.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 04:15 PM

I had a similar (but worse) scratch on the rear nearside quarter of my 5-week-old car. I went for an insurance quote at my local "best" bodyshop - £645 .....

Instead of accepting that I went to a local "smart" repairer, who showed me ongoing examples of his work on Mercedes, Porsche and Audi and offered to do me a "proper" job for £125. A couple of days later I dropped my car off and left it overnight. The next day, when I went to collect it, the scratch was undetectable and the car looked like new again ..... The damaged area had been (invisibly) repaired, and the quarter had been resprayed and relaquered to blend in with the "new" finish ..... a "top" job .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 04:32 PM

Where I live now, there are bar stewards going around inflicting damage to cars. Are they jealous, just vindictive...what?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Where I live now, there are bar stewards going around inflicting damage to cars. Are they jealous, just vindictive...what?
Could be friends of someone who repairs scratched vehicles? Just a thought.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 05:25 PM

we found "Chip Away" did a great job on the scratches on Sue's Honda when she scraped it on the garage wall

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top