Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Transitioning at 16 too young?

Heard this on the news last night and personally I think 16 is far too young.

This girl says she should have been challenged and I tend to agree.

Do they make it too easy these days to make the transition of gender.

As I see it it is making our young people confused and questioning their gender.

I feel they should concentrate on their mental health to teach them to learn how to accept the body they were born in first before performing such a huge surgery, but of course I get some will disagree with me.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject which is quite controversial.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51676020
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:24 AM

Re: Transitioning at 16 too young?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Heard this on the news last night and personally I think 16 is far too young.

This girl says she should have been challenged and I tend to agree.

Do they make it too easy these days to make the transition of gender.

As I see it it is making our young people confused and questioning their gender.

I feel they should concentrate on their mental health to teach them to learn how to accept the body they were born in first before performing such a huge surgery, but of course I get some will disagree with me.

I'm interested in your thoughts on this subject which is quite controversial.

Agree, give them time before doing anything drastic, they are under enough pressure without this.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:56 AM

Have no idea what the situation is in the UK. But here cross gender issues are treated very seriously. In the past many young people have been subjected to severe judgement by older generations over this. They have been forced to live how everybody else wants and expects them to be. THeir genuine feelings have been trivialised and even ridiculed by an older generation who's job it was to care for them. They are called "snowflakes" and "pansies" by people who have less than zero knowledge about these kids or have nothing to base their opinions on other than their own prejudices. Instead of listening, empathising and making them feel safe, they cop the "Oh grow up..we never went on with that rot in my day..". The result?..in too many cases self harm at best or suicide at worst. Some kids know they are in the wrong body very early in their life. It is a very real condition. It is like homosexuality. It is not a "disease" that needs to be corrected. It is an orientation that occurs for want of a better word... naturally. MOst of us are retired. We are old. We have created the word that these kids have to live in. And a lot of it is sh*t. They will be around a lot longer than we are. They should be able to live the life they want. We should never try to hold back the hands of time. Because they will tear our arms out.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Have no idea what the situation is in the UK. But here cross gender issues are treated very seriously. In the past many young people have been subjected to severe judgement by older generations over this. They have been forced to live how everybody else wants and expects them to be. THeir genuine feelings have been trivialised and even ridiculed by an older generation who's job it was to care for them. They are called "snowflakes" and "pansies" by people who have less than zero knowledge about these kids or have nothing to base their opinions on other than their own prejudices. Instead of listening, empathising and making them feel safe, they cop the "Oh grow up..we never went on with that rot in my day..". The result?..in too many cases self harm at best or suicide at worst. Some kids know they are in the wrong body very early in their life. It is a very real condition. It is like homosexuality. It is not a "disease" that needs to be corrected. It is an orientation that occurs for want of a better word... naturally. MOst of us are retired. We are old. We have created the word that these kids have to live in. And a lot of it is sh*t. They will be around a lot longer than we are. They should be able to live the life they want. We should never try to hold back the hands of time. Because they will tear our arms out.
So you think 16 isn't too young keezy?

This case is just one that we have heard about that is living with regret now. How many more are there? Of course I get not all but even one is too many. It really is a very controversial and complex subject
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:10 AM

Then you end up with law suits.

A 23-year-old woman who is taking legal action against an NHS gender clinic says she should have been challenged more by medical staff over her decision to transition to a male as a teenager.

A judge gave the go-ahead for a full hearing of the case against the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust.

Lawyers will argue children cannot give informed consent to treatment delaying puberty or helping them to transition.

The Tavistock said it always took a cautious approach to treatment.

Gender identity charity Mermaids said that people face a long wait for access to such services, that they can save lives and that very few people regret their decision.

The clinic based in Hampstead, north-west London, which runs the UK's only gender-identity development service (GIDS), added that it welcomed an examination of the evidence in this contentious area.
This case shows clearly highlights why allowing surgery too early is not a good option. Whether this individual would have listened to any advice given when a teenager probably not. imo
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
So you think 16 isn't too young keezy?

This case is just one that we have heard about that is living with regret now. How many more are there? Of course I get not all but even one is too many. It really is a very controversial and complex subject

You're right it is complex. I'm not sure why it sould be contoversial. With respect LQ I'm not 100% sure what the question is. Too young for what?..Too young to be allowed to live as the gender they believe they really are?..or to live without identifying as any gender at all? Or are we talking about allowing a 16 year old to submit to gender re-assigment surgery and/ or allied pharmacological therapies and intensive counselling?..And I mean counselling. Not psychiatric treatment. There is a huge difference.The latter implies that the person is mentally ill in some way.In Australia, individuals who are minors, if their parents consent, they are able to begin receiving puberty blockers at a young age and later receive cross sex hormones and then transitional surgeries upon turning 18 years of age. I concur with this. Just for interest google Georgie Stone. She is a young Australian trans woman who has a high profile here. She was born a boy but has lived as a girl all her life (so far) She said she feels very lucky that her parents accepted her as she was and let her be herself. For all intents and purposes, she is just a delightful, talented, bright and beautiful young woman. I would doubt that it would ever occur to people by just looking at her that she was born a boy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Absolutely too young Lion Queen, it should be 21 at least...
Kids are too easily influenced by what they see online and in the media, and most are not mentally developed enough to make such decisions. I don't believe they should be allowed to drive under 21 either.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

02-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
You're right it is complex. I'm not sure why it sould be contoversial. With respect LQ I'm not 100% sure what the question is. Too young for what?..Too young to be allowed to live as the gender they believe they really are?..or to live without identifying as any gender at all? Or are we talking about allowing a 16 year old to submit to gender re-assigment surgery and/ or allied pharmacological therapies and intensive counselling?..And I mean counselling. Not psychiatric treatment. There is a huge difference.The latter implies that the person is mentally ill in some way.In Australia, individuals who are minors, if their parents consent, they are able to begin receiving puberty blockers at a young age and later receive cross sex hormones and then transitional surgeries upon turning 18 years of age. I concur with this. Just for interest google Georgie Stone. She is a young Australian trans woman who has a high profile here. She was born a boy but has lived as a girl all her life (so far) She said she feels very lucky that her parents accepted her as she was and let her be herself. For all intents and purposes, she is just a delightful, talented, bright and beautiful young woman. I would doubt that it would ever occur to people by just looking at her that she was born a boy.
sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I mean should they perform surgery on someone so young. Some may have mental health problems, but like you say some may just need counselling. I say controversial because it is often a public debate. People have a right to their own thoughts on the subject I suppose, just because people have different opinions on something, who is to say who is right or wrong. My opinion is if we are born with a certain piece of anatomy that determines between female and male, however in some cases some people are born with both, in that case I am totally understanding that they would have to choose which sex they want to live their life.

If I had a child who wanted to change gender I would want to make sure my child had all the help there is to offer eg counselling and/or even psychiatry. Of course if the outcome is they still wanted to change their sex then I would support them wholeheartedly.

When I see so many regretting their decision that rings alarm bells to me. I may be wrong in my thinking but this is how I see it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Does have the benefit of taking the distinctly odd out of the gene pool before procreation takes place. I don't "do" diversity.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-12-2020, 01:19 PM

Nathan Verhelst, although much older before surgery is still tragic, because after hormone therapy, a mastectomy and surgery to construct a penis said "none of these operations worked as desired."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top