Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 03:37 PM

Re: Winter windscreen clearing

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Bolded bit, or is it because of rain sensor left on, I've been caught out with it.
I've seen it happen with cars of all ages, Caricature, so, not all will have rain sensors. The main reason is idiot car owners.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I never use even the slightest of warm water since I cracked a windscreen. I always start the engine and have as much air as possible blowing up the screen. Then I give the outside of it a good squirt of de-icer spray and use a hard rubber scraper. One word of warning: I've noticed quite a good number of drivers turn on their wipers before clearing their screens. This WILL damage the wiper blades particularly if they are frozen to the glass to start with.
Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
If there's any risk of frost or snow we always use a windscreen cover like this:

Then when the screen defrost is on it takes literally seconds to become completely clear.
If we forget for some reason the screen defrost alone works pretty quickly; it turns the heating & vents automatically to the optimum, it's not an electrical system as some Fords use.

If all else fails it's a conventional scraper and some squirty de-icer.
I've seen screens crack when warm water has been used and I'm not risking it.
Not with my luck.

The emphasis is on "luke warm", no warmer than that is necessary and as I said, personally I've always done this and never had a problem. Too hot is a sure no no...

The other advantage of course is that is frees up the wipers too, which I agree should never be operated until they have defrosted.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 07:04 PM

I’m fortunate to keep my car in a garage, so no problem defrosting, although the last couple of nights I’ve had to use the heated windscreen when leaving work, once you’ve had a car with a heated screen you’ll never go back, I’m not a fan of warm water over the screen, there’s always a danger of thermal shocking and cracking it, especially if you have a small chip, but each to their own, and if it works for you then fine...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 07:10 PM

I always use warm water too barry, I hate de-icer it just freezes up again and the warm water melts tge ice immediately.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The emphasis is on "luke warm", no warmer than that is necessary and as I said, personally I've always done this and never had a problem. Too hot is a sure no no...

The other advantage of course is that is frees up the wipers too, which I agree should never be operated until they have defrosted.
I get what you mean, really I do.
But I can just see my lukewarm bag sticking to the screen as the severe cold freezes it near-instantly.

As far as I'm concerned I will stick to what I know works safely for me, which is a cover.
On the other hand if we cleared the garage out so that the car would fit in ......................
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 08:50 PM

I have put the dogs towel over the windscreen tonight it’s was terrible this morning .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2020, 09:46 PM

If you do buy de-icer, then buy the trigger spray and not the aerosols as they tend to run out of propellant halfway through and they’re cold in your hand, I used to use demon ice, as you can spray it the night before and it makes de- icing easier the next morning...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
If you do buy de-icer, then buy the trigger spray and not the aerosols as they tend to run out of propellant halfway through and they’re cold in your hand, I used to use demon ice, as you can spray it the night before and it makes de- icing easier the next morning...
Good tip. I found an old can in the car and the spray was just pathetic. Came out in just a small stream. I was only going shopping yesterday when I needed to clear the windows, so got the engine running and fan heaters till nearly clear, and drove carefully to up the road where there are no houses, and sat waiting till the screen was clear enough to see through properly.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 09:59 AM

The best answer is to cover the screen with a plastic sheet the night before, but sometimes i'm lazy about doing that

I always fee up the wiper blades if there is a chance that they might be frozen to the screen, and also if there is a lot of snow - well you'd need to do that to see in any case

Besides damage to the wiper blades, if the wipers are frozen on you can blow the fuse in the wiper motor circuit
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 12:42 PM

I remember my first car did not have a heater. To clear your windscreen I stuck a demister bar on the inside of the screen.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top