Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Re: Accents

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Does he ? ! Well I never ...........
Ha-ha! The point I wanted to make is that if the difference between a Londoner and a Yorkie speaking English is called a dialect ..... and any Englishman speaking French is called an accent .... then what is called the difference between a Londoner and a Yorkie speaking French? Is it an accent AND a dialect or ought we say one speaks with a London accent and the other with a Yorkie accent
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
If it's ok with you Pesta, can I suggest a Sub-thread of...
What accents have our members got?

That's something I'd really like to know!
And who will be judge?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Ha-ha! The point I wanted to make is that if the difference between a Londoner and a Yorkie speaking English is called a dialect ..... and any Englishman speaking French is called an accent .... then what is called the difference between a Londoner and a Yorkie speaking French? Is it an accent AND a dialect or ought we say one speaks with a London accent and the other with a Yorkie accent
Tell me that again
No don't - me head hurts now ...........
Mind you - I've never used the term 'dialect' sounds too posh for me
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 07:30 PM

And who will be judge?
No-one AO but then why would people not tell the truth?!
There is nothing to be gained from lying is there?
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

08-02-2016, 08:03 PM

No-one AO but then why would people not tell the truth?!
There is nothing to be gained from lying is there?
Not a question of "lying", Rhian. Germans have told me that I speak German as a Czech. French have told me that I speak French like a Flemish. Englishmen tell me that I sound English but I really exert myself when speaking to Englishmen, whereas when I speak to Americans I don't bother all that much. The upshot is that I can't possibly tell you what I sound like when speaking English. Only you'd know that.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 08:15 PM

Mibbe We should write oan here the wey We speak...wid that be oany guid tae Ye Hen?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 08:16 PM

Not a question of "lying", Rhian. Germans have told me that I speak German as a Czech. French have told me that I speak French like a Flemish. Englishmen tell me that I sound English but I really exert myself when speaking to Englishmen, whereas when I speak to Americans I don't bother all that much. The upshot is that I can't possibly tell you what I sound like when speaking English. Only you'd know that.
Yes I see what you're saying.
Your situation is different AO
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 08:46 PM

This post made me think how difficult it is for us to understand someone with a different accent/dialect.A friend of mine has gone to live in Ireland, she goes to a day centre there and said she cant understand the other people and they cant understand her as she is Welsh
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 09:14 PM

If it's ok with you Pesta, can I suggest a Sub-thread of...
What accents have our members got?

That's something I'd really like to know!
Don't mind at all Rhian....do it on here if you like. I ain't bovvered

I used to like The Beast on The Chase till I heard him say Fousand instead of Thousand. He's so clever he can't speak properly, perhaps that's accents for you or is it dialect
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Mibbe We should write oan here the wey We speak...wid that be oany guid tae Ye Hen?

I know Hen May, that's about it

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top