Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Re: Foreign Aid - wasted ?

There is an ad on TV at the moment, asking people to give £3 to provide warm blankets for the poor children, in Syria, to help them survive the cold weather.
I don't want those children to suffer, but how can I be sure that the rebels there wont just kill the children and use the blankets for their own needs?
If I give money to a homeless charity, or the Salvation Army at least I will know that somebody, in need, will have food and a warm bed for the night!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Charity's are just as bad , guy in paper yesterday ..... his pay is £3m /annum.... for running a charity !

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...?client=safari

Next time a country wants help because of flooding il send them my old bucket !
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Charity's are just as bad , guy in paper yesterday ..... his pay is £3m /annum.... for running a charity !

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...?client=safari

Next time a country wants help because of flooding il send them my old bucket !
Same here. Charity begins at home. Many elderly are afraid to put the heating on in case they run out of money for food. When are these so called politicians going to wake up!!!
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Same here. Charity begins at home. Many elderly are afraid to put the heating on in case they run out of money for food. When are these so called politicians going to wake up!!!
Hi Doc,I agree Charity begins at home,I prefer the Animal Shelters.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 08:39 PM

I think Pakistan now gets circa £800 million? - and they run a nuclear programme!!. Also a known terrorist breeding / training ground. Where did they find Bin Laden hiding out in the end?

The mind boggles quite frankly at the stupidity of this country.
And yeh, all the time we have ex servicemen struggling and elderly who can't turn on their heating, I'd not send out 1 bloody pence in foreign aid....
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 08:42 PM

Tell you what Fender , me neither.
[[[sad]]]
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I think Pakistan now gets circa £800 million? - and they run a nuclear programme!!. Also a known terrorist breeding / training ground. Where did they find Bin Laden hiding out in the end?

The mind boggles quite frankly at the stupidity of this country.
And yeh, all the time we have ex servicemen struggling and elderly who can't turn on their heating, I'd not send out 1 bloody pence in foreign aid....

They didn't 'find' bin laden , the fact is he was there all along !
When USA first went into Afghanistan ( a country let's not forget that the USA helped liberate when the Afghan govt invited the USSR into its country ) they informed Pakistan US operations were going to carpet bomb the tora bora cave systems starting on ( whatever date ) .
Pakistan claimed to have their own troops on the ground and sent 3 aircraft in to remove them before USA started proceedings ...... YES , you guessed it ..... bin laden was on that flight out and Uncle Sam spent the next 10 years turning the place upside down looking for 'the ghost'
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
.... Pakistan claimed to have their own troops on the ground and sent 3 aircraft in to remove them before USA started proceedings ...... YES , you guessed it ..... bin laden was on that flight out .....
Any credible evidence ?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
.... I would say giving to specific projects in a country is one thing,
giving wads of money for rulers to spend on their own pet projects is another thing entirely.....
Couldn't agree more !
But surely even the British government woke up to that decades ago ?

If they've still been handing over funds
(without proper controls, auditing, project management and involvement at every step)
- and the British public have let them -
no wonder the place seems to be going down the gurgler.
Pumicestone
Australia

17-12-2016, 04:45 AM

As some extremely wise person posted elsewhere
Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
...If developed countries just hand over a bunch of cash with no supervision or control that would be crazy.
Might have happened in the past but these days (at least with Australian aid) the recipient country - or its leaders - rarely see any money.
OK, you need a dam - we'll build you a dam - but we'll supply the materials, employ a mix of local and Aus labour and we will totally manage the project.
Same with schools, hospitals, bridges, roads, food, sewerage - whatever.
Everything independently audited - not much opportunity for 'squander'.
We must be wary that we do not use so-called 'wastage' to overlook really horrific suffering and danger to our fellow humans elsewhere -
just because we have some problems at home.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top