Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 08:58 PM

Re: Trick or treat

Thanks - that's an interesting read. Are we going to have a thread about the day of the dead?

[QUOTE]Put your clothes on inside out and walk backwards on Halloween night to meet a witch./QUOTE]

I'd like to try this but bedtime is creeping up on me.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Thanks - that's an interesting read. Are we going to have a thread about the day of the dead?

Great opening sequence to Spectre
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Great opening sequence to Spectre
Yeah, it was pretty good.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Hi

I love it.

In a small village the littlies are well behaved and always with parents.

An innocent bit of fun.

They love dressing up.

The pre school ones are best, dressed up, made up and allowed to stay up late.

How wide their eyes get when confronted with an array of sweets just there for the taking.

Very polite, they only take one.

When they are told they can have 3, the look on their faces is priceless.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:26 PM

We don’t get ‘trick or treaters’ here anymore, not since I opened the door dressed like Jimmy Saville.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 02:29 AM

Traditional trick or treat, aka guising, involves the local kids going door to door and performing a trick. This could be anything from doing handstands to reciting poetry. If the trick was good enough they would be given a treat.

Alas it went across the Atlantic, got corrupted like so many other things have done, and came back in the completely different form of demanding sweets with menaces.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Alas it went across the Atlantic, got corrupted like so many other things have done, and came back in the completely different form of demanding sweets with menaces.
The little ones are not so bad, they enjoy dressing up, having sweets and would probably not know what to do if you said 'trick', - but some of the older children can be really threatening.

In Ireland the tradition was to go 'Souling'. People - mainly children - would go door to door begging a 'soul cake' in return for which they would say prayers for the souls of the givers, their friends/relatives/pets etc., It was a religious festival and nothing what ever to do with the 'trick or treat' thing they do today.

"A soul! a soul! a soul-cake!
Please good Missis, a soul-cake!
An apple, a pear, a plum, or a cherry,
Any good thing to make us all merry.
One for Peter, two for Paul
Three for Him who made us all."

In Yorkshire they also used to celebrate 'Mischief Night' - not sure if they do it elsewhere - but on Nov 4th (night before Guy Fawkes) children would go around knocking on doors and running away - which expanded into taking gates off, breaking eggs on car windscreens etc., Thankfully that one seems to have died out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm not sure I know the difference. I understand a treat is sweets or money, but what is a trick?

I just gave them a pound coin, two little girls, but that's all I'm giving tonight.
Give them an Old Pound Coin.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Spitfire - that is just naughty - I will report you to Mups !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Give them an Old Pound Coin.
Hi

I thought I had got rid of all mine, but found some in the car.

Luckily they worked in the Airport drop off yesterday.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top