Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Re: Farage being sued!!!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
If you think all Muslims are scum and Islam should be abolished, then fine, walk up to some of my Ex Staff and tell them that you think their kids are all scumbags..
I hope this isn't how you see me? My arguments are informed and I attempt to deal with issues in a sensible manner. If it is then I'm afraid you suffer from the same malaise as Julie in that you cannot think beyond the confines of your own emotional attachments. But I can understand this as you are both merely protecting those you care for. Perfectly understandable but it definitely clouds your judgement.

I've mentioned a number of times lately that it is impossible to form a reasonable answer to any concern or question when emotion is in play. It might be a good idea to step back from any point I make and try and see it from a different perspective. When someone reads a political book or a historical one etc, the content is free from bias more often than not - just cold hard facts. I'm attempting to put forward my points in a similar manner. Merely ideas for discussion - very wide ranging ideas too I might add.

You might find I share the same concerns and see the same solutions as yourself which might surprise you. But you won't unless you let your guard down a bit.

As for censorship you refer to there are no boundaries to its implementation. Consider Turkey for instance. To keep a grip on the populace many journalists now find themselves behind bars. This is also true in China for instance. All attempts at controlling people's minds by curtailing the news. It works. These are extremes but never-the-less the principles are the same - the control of informed data. The internet is one such place that is under all sorts of pressure with regard to this now and we can expect more of the same. It should concern all as any change chips away at Freedom of Speech. Worrying if you ask me.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If nobody safeguards tolerance, the pendulum can swing all the way round so we end up like an extreme islamic state here with the death penalty, homophobia, no religious freedom and xenophobia. The world can end up like that of Game of Thrones.

People struggled for 50 years behind the iron curtain for open borders, freedom to worship, free speech and a free market. We rejoiced when they overthrew communism and now we are embracing the idea of raising borders, banning some religions, getting rid of human rights, letting the state go through our private conversations, etc. Some of the conspiracy theories abounding now are very similar to the approaches utilised by commie propaganda. It's all manipulation. The best approach is to take everything with a pinch of salt including conspiracy theories telling you the earth is flat.

We seem to be entering an anarchy-driven world where nothing is as it seems. I can't see what good that will bring. But it's certainly fueling what I see as hate speech, divisions and anger. Sold as a new kind of freedom but really it's just a self imposed prison.
Some strange contradictions here if you don't mind my saying. I tend to ask such questions as why we are suddenly so concerned about clamping down on people's right to speak out? What is the reason behind it? Where is the pressure coming from? Who is orchestrating it come to that?

'Conspiracy theories' can be debunked with open discussion but will never be if shut away in some mental closet. Same goes with the overuse of labels. If such and such a person has one attached to them then they undoubtedly have concerns and perhaps misguided ideas but if they are not allowed to air their views these will only take root all the more. Same goes for those doing the labeling they effectively remove the opposing views to their own. This is unhealthy in the extreme and will only lead to far more division than there is now.

There are huge sociological changes occurring and it is very apparent not all of them are for the good. If we aren't allowed to discuss the bad as well as the good we are paving the way for civil unrest.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
the left wing bigots always shout pc words to try to make their point.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 12:15 PM

The article in The Independent is totally misleading. It says that race hate crime has risen by 41% (41% of what? Is that 41% of national crime figures or 41% of hate crime figures?). It also gives the impression that since Brexit, there has been a 41% increase of white British people taking to the streets to carry out attacks on foreigners. It doesn't mention if any of those attacks were the other way round and it doesn't mention whether the figures include attacks on or by non-EU citizens. It also doesn't mention whether it includes incidents between opposing EU groups. We know that a lot of Eastern European people dislike other Eastern Europeans for instance.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Often that's not why it's said, IMO trying to change another persons views occasionally you need to say exactly how they sound they may not have realised that what they are saying sounds so bad. Once they realise they can be reasoned with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The article in The Independent is totally misleading. It says that race hate crime has risen by 41% (41% of what? Is that 41% of national crime figures or 41% of hate crime figures?). It also gives the impression that since Brexit, there has been a 41% increase of white British people taking to the streets to carry out attacks on foreigners. It doesn't mention if any of those attacks were the other way round and it doesn't mention whether the figures include attacks on or by non-EU citizens. It also doesn't mention whether it includes incidents between opposing EU groups. We know that a lot of Eastern European people dislike other Eastern Europeans for instance.
While you have a point I'd say any rise has to be bad and if you are being abused who is doing it really doesn't matter.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi

You make a very valid point Longdogs.

This is a telling extract from the article in The Independent

“A large part of this increase is driven by better police reporting and support systems giving victims the confidence to speak up and get help,”

Strange how some to forget that bit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 01:13 PM

hi

you make a very valid point longdogs.

This is a telling extract from the article in the independent

“a large part of this increase is driven by better police reporting and support systems giving victims the confidence to speak up and get help,”

strange how some to forget that bit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
While you have a point I'd say any rise has to be bad and if you are being abused who is doing it really doesn't matter.
I agree Julie, as a UKIP voter myself, I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be attacked but the so called Independent doesn't give all the facts.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Hi

You make a very valid point Longdogs.

This is a telling extract from the article in The Independent

“A large part of this increase is driven by better police reporting and support systems giving victims the confidence to speak up and get help,”

Strange how some to forget that bit.
Strange how some will grasp any little straw to support their view. Where did this better Police reporting come from when there are less of them now?

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top