Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Raynauds anyone?

Anyone else suffer with Reynauds? Crikey it is painful this time of year especially.
Plus I have Chilblains too
LynX
Cornwall
LynX is female  LynX has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Re: Raynauds anyone?

I had Reynauds when I was in my thirties and I can remember how aweful it was. There are very cold fingers and there are Reynauds cold fingers and the two don't compare. It's like your fingers have been hit with a hammer on the ends.
Thankfully I 'grew out of it' and apart from the normal cold hands in extreme weather I have have never had it since.
There was very little they could do for it back then in the 1980's (I even tried some unsuccessful homeopathy for it) but not sure if they have found anything to help these days.
You do have my sympathies though.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Sounds nasty! Does a nice hot bath help warm you up/encourage circulation?
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 07:57 PM

I have often wondered if i do suffer from it, my hands are always freezing and if i tilt my arm just a bit it feels like the circulation is going the other way,i was on tablets which doctor said would give me hot flushes but didnt so then was given different tablets and said they would def give me hot flushes but they didnt either, then i was taken off them by another doctor as she said they were dangerous to be on too long,another dr said pulse in my feet are very slow and my feet are covered in chilblains.
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Sounds nasty! Does a nice hot bath help warm you up/encourage circulation?
Well you would think so, but, if your feet/hands are white/numb then having a bath isn't that simple as you don't have the feeling to know how hot the bath is! So I have to use my elbow Once stepping in the bath the change in temp can be painful, then there is a spell of nice warm feeling, but once you get out the bath, slowly back to where you were before the bath, but painful thobbing in feet & hands
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2010, 12:25 AM

I suffered from terrible chilblains for the last 9/10 years - I think it was the dog walking in the freezing cold that set them off. I think I also had Raynauds as my toes (where they weren't covered in chilblains) were white and very painful, as were my fingers. And I mean painful!

However, I packed in smoking last summer - and guess what! NO CHILBLAINS AND NO RAYNAUDS (if that was what it was) this winter, even though it has been a bitterly cold one. I used to start with them in September, and they went right through to March/April.

Of course it could be coincidence, but it is to do with circulation, so I can only assume that the smoking was affecting the circulation in my "extremities"!

Yet another reason I am glad I stopped smoking! Even though today, for some reason, I have really, really fancied a ciggy! I suppose I will have days like that for some time yet - but I will resist!
Sweep
Kent UK

17-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
I suffered from terrible chilblains for the last 9/10 years - I think it was the dog walking in the freezing cold that set them off. I think I also had Raynauds as my toes (where they weren't covered in chilblains) were white and very painful, as were my fingers. And I mean painful!

However, I packed in smoking last summer - and guess what! NO CHILBLAINS AND NO RAYNAUDS (if that was what it was) this winter, even though it has been a bitterly cold one. I used to start with them in September, and they went right through to March/April.

Of course it could be coincidence, but it is to do with circulation, so I can only assume that the smoking was affecting the circulation in my "extremities"!

Yet another reason I am glad I stopped smoking! Even though today, for some reason, I have really, really fancied a ciggy! I suppose I will have days like that for some time yet - but I will resist!
Great that you gave up smoking & all is now improved for you

I have never smoked, in my case I know it is a hereditary condition as my Sister suffers badly & my daughter too - I think my Dad may have suffered with it, although he died when I was 6 but I am sure he did.

The pain is as intense when cold as it is when warming up - this does not just happen in relation to weather but just going to the fridge/freezer, also when this happens in a shop you do get some strange looks especially in the Summer time, purple hands/arms do look unsightly as it does having to wear gloves to get things from the fridge/freezer area
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2010, 05:08 PM

I havent smoked either...when told to put warm clothes on which i do anyway, it doesnt help as i feel i need heating from the inside.
gallina
New Member!
Manchester,UK
gallina is female 

10-02-2010, 02:07 PM

I also suffer from Raynaulds disease. The doctor said it was the nerve endings in your hands or feet reacting too quickly to outside stimuli. No cure, just keep hands warm.

Excruciating at times, I find it catches me out when I am not expecting it. I can walk the dog in all weathers, and as long as I have my warm ski gloves, plus all the other warm clothes I am fine. Then I go to the supermarket and forget to take my gloves in with me. By the time I reach the tills the ends of my fingers hands are white and have no sensation.

At home just getting something out of the fridge can trigger it, and I have to wear gloves to get something out of the freezer. Swimming is a no no, because the combination of water and feeling cold or cool also sets it off.

Even in the summer on a hot day, it can happen if I touch something cold and wet (that's why I drink red wine not white!!) You would laugh if you saw me driving the car - sometimes, I might be wearing a T shirt because it is warm, but still have to wear gloves because the steering wheel is cold to the touch. Most times when I am driving in the winter I have to put my hands by the heating vents to defrost them, about ten minutes after starting off. After that they are OK.

It is manageable, but you have to think ahead and always have some gloves in the car or in a coat pocket, whatever the time of year.

People say to rub your hands together or shake them to get the circulation back, but that doesn't work. The only thing that works is to have a heat source on or close to your hand, such as a fire, warm water to plunge your hands in, a radiator that you can hold your hand against.

I read some years ago that Vitamin E can help, but have not tried it.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Something like this any good for you? You can keep them in your bag/pocket and just click for the heat as and when you need them.
I've found them excellent for cold weather rugby watching

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top