Join for free
Page 259 of 370 « First < 159 209 249 257 258 259 260 261 269 309 359 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Meanwhile! Back to today....
Thick mist took away the views as I set off for my Sunday morning eight.
Although it was 4*C it didn't seem all that cold and I was soon out into the country running along deserted roads. It was daylight though, but the air was packed with moisture that clung to my hair, face and gloves, I didn't realise until I wiped my hand across my head and it came back soaked...

Nontheless, I was in the zone and seemed to be running without effort, the church clock read 7:10am as I ran past and observed the snowdrops in the churchyard and on the verges. We visited the snowdrop festival a couple of weeks ago but they seemed to look more vibrant this morning, and now were joined by crocuses and narcissi that seemed to nod their heads in approval.

I left the church behind and continued on a three mile lap of mainly minor lesser used roads until I joined a half mile straight section of what can be a quite busy portion. Sunday's aren't too bad, but I always speed up the pace to get it over quickly and today was no exception. Without seeing a vehicle I ducked into a side road, regained my breath and relaxed.

Although the mist seemed about the same, as I returned to the church clock I couldn't make out the time, so it must be thickening. Still feeling no tiredness I dug in for the last two miles and even managed a couple of bursts of speed, these bursts of speed rewarded me with a very respectable time as I reached my drive and stopped the watch.....That effort has left a very good taste in my mouth...Now for some breakfast...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Just done 1.7 miles in 35 minutes without stopping . that is including going up fairly steep slopes on the roads around us
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Bob - I love Hornsea. I think I've mentioned before that we go there about once every month to take in the sea air, have a butty at the seafront cafe or a bag of chips and a nice walk later. Can't beat the place, and that tide certainly does roll in fast doesn't it? Love the photos mate, and well done on your 'effortless' run yesterday too!

Realspeed - Attaboy bud! Great to see you're making some nice gains there. Keep it going

Monday 25/2/19: Tension training (Upper body). 1hr. 55mins.
(All weights in kgs)

A rare morning outing for me today to the gym having had last night off work. For some reason the gym was packed. If it was just pensioners I would understand it but there were all kinds of in there…do none of these people work regular hours? It didn’t bother me though as I still managed to get around the equipment if not in the order I would have preferred.

With two of my routines – the tension training and the 7-set programme – now amalgamated into one concise 5-set resistance-type workout (a plan I mentioned last week which involves a steady increase over four sets going to the max, holding the weight with a final light set), everything went really well, pushing myself to the limits of my endurance.

DB press, incline bench:
10x24, 10x28, 8x32, 5x36
10x22

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
12x35, 8x60, 8x70, 6x80
15x40

Smith flat bench press:
10x40, 6x60, 5x70, 2x80
16x40 (close-grip)

Standing barbell curl:
12x25, 10x30, 10x35, 6x40
16x20

E-Z preacher curl:
12x28, 10x38, 8x50.25, 4x60.25
18x28
*A monster weight reached with the 60+ kgs, isolating only the biceps. An from the young couple on the lat pulldown machine to me as the woman said “Look at the size of those arms!” with the bloke adding “yeah, look at the weight he’s lifting”. I had a brief chat with them and showed the lad how to use a good technique with this apparatus, helping him with a bar loaded with 28kg, and he did actually managed a few reps but he said he couldn’t ever get big arms. I said it will come in time and for him to add a few kgs each time and he would be surprised how quickly he would grow. Hopefully I’ll bump into them again and check on their progress.
I decided to remain on the preacher curl bench for my next exercise with a single dumbbell:

DB preacher curl:
10x12, 8x16, 9x20, 7x24
12x10
*A nice maximum lift of 24kg for several reps, still with my onlookers glancing over. I moved from this machine and noticed from across the gym that this couple were now trying out both those exercises for the duration of the rest of my time in there.

Fly delt dec:
15x65, 12x80, 12x110, 12x125
16x80
*very heavy weight on the delt dec, the shoulders in good shape at the moment.

Shoulder press:
12x30, 6x60, 6x70, 6x80
I’d have stopped there but I was very pleased with how easily these weights were going, so I decided to see how far I could push myself…
5x90, 2x100
*It’s been ages since I topped the 100kg on a shoulder lift, so very pleased with that.

Tricep extensions:
15x35, 10x60, 10x70, 10x80
15x40

High-pull cable curl:
12x20, 10x25, 8x30, 8x35
18x15
*A nice finish on an exercise I don’t normally do. This involves using both sides of a cable stack machine, standing in the middle and pulling the cables in high as in a ‘double biceps’ pose and holding the weight. Unsurprisingly, I get some looks on this machine too

I’m very pleased with my results at the moment. I’m feeling very fit, looking stronger, more muscular but in a defined way and I’m increasing my goals and seeing targets being reached.
Tonight I’m back at work so I’ll need about three hours in bed if possible before I go in otherwise I’ll be like a zombie!

Next training session will be on the legs on Wednesday as tomorrow I have my long-delayed appointment with the ENT clinic about my ear problems. This was first booked last June and I’ve had so many issues with my hearing, coupled with tinnitus and ear infections. Hopefully I’ll get somewhere.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanks Floydy, apart from Cleethorpes, I can be walking along the beach in Hornsea in just over an hour. When I've been visiting Hull in the past I noticed there was a walk all the way to Hornsea, I think I shall have a look at the map with the intention of walking it this year.

At first light I was out running my five mile route. With just 2*C showing on the thermometer I succumbed to wearing some thin gloves and I'm glad I did, although after a couple of miles I had warmed up and had slipped into a comfortable pace. The sunrise I caught sight of as I exited the wood was spectacular, and if I hadn't been running I would have have stopped to enjoy the moment. As it happens I managed to run my second fastest time on that route with very little effort......I can sense something good is happening with my running....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-02-2019, 11:31 AM

I saw this statement on a TV advert the other day and thought how appropriate for this thread......

YOU DON'T STOP BECAUSE YOU GET OLDER

YOU GET OLDER IF YOU STOP!

Wise words indeed...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Where is my t-shirt with that slogan, OGF? Truer words were never spoken.

I haven't been slacking, but I have been traveling all over the country (work, health, fun), slipping in runs here and there. Nothing as spectacular as the wide open beaches of Hornsea, though! Most of our beaches have either a slope to the water or have such light and fluffy sand that every step is singular effort. Thanks for the photos, OGF!

Glad to see the rest of you working hard. Nice distance relapseed! I appreciate your workout write ups, Floydy, and I am sure it made your day with that compliment.

Running today in the Kansas Prairie where the winter wheat looks like endlessly long grassy lawns.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Nice to hear from you, Suzie and that all is well. How is your daughter now?

Yes, the beach at Hornsea near Hull where I live is one of the best on the East Coast, spotlessly clean all year round with a ban on dogs from April to September.
Here's a link about the railway line walk from Hull to Hornsea, Bob if you're interested. I haven't done it myself but people I know say it's a nice stroll:
https://www.visithullandeastyorkshir...&venue=2298637

Tomorrow I'll be doing a legs workout, either the tension training or a more regular 5-set routine - perhaps a bit of both? We'll see!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Nice to hear from you, Suzie and that all is well. How is your daughter now?

Yes, the beach at Hornsea near Hull where I live is one of the best on the East Coast, spotlessly clean all year round with a ban on dogs from April to September.
Here's a link about the railway line walk from Hull to Hornsea, Bob if you're interested. I haven't done it myself but people I know say it's a nice stroll:
https://www.visithullandeastyorkshir...&venue=2298637

Tomorrow I'll be doing a legs workout, either the tension training or a more regular 5-set routine - perhaps a bit of both? We'll see!
Thanks Floydy that brilliant, at 26 miles I'll try it when the days are longer. Perhaps drive to Hornsea and bus back to the start in Hull.......Should take me about eight hours....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Oldgreyfox! The more I get to know you, the more impressed I am. This is beyond impressive. You are the kind of person I thought I’d be more like but I stuck to swimming and high intensity workouts instead. Either way I was hooked on that Adrenalin rush you speak of.

May I ask what the difference is between road running and running on the fells. Are the fells, the softer shoulders of the road?

What an incredible adventure you have had thus far. One can’t hekp but be inspired.

What did your wife think of your running when she first met you and did she do any running with you?

Oddly enough my husband used to be a runner when he was younger but that was about the only physical sport he did which is why I was so shocked that he joined the gym with me but am glad he did.
There are many forms of 'Fell Running' Bratti, the history goes back many years and I feel privileged to have ran with some real heros....Here is a glimpse into the world of the Fell from my perspective......

There are still some wild places left in England where you can spend all day walking or running without seeing another soul. Most of these come under the control of the National Parks and are usually staffed by rangers and volunteers, repairing fences and access gates, removing undergrowth from paths and keeping the paths in good order. Due to time and accessibility I have tended to focus my attention on just two of these national parks. The Derbyshire Peaks national park and the North York Moors national park, I can drive to either in just a little over one hour and they contain most of my favourite ultra distance fell running events where I competed every year over a sixteen year period between 1980 and 1996. But I guess my all time favourite has to be the Lyke Wake, and here is the story of my association with this magical event.
In 1955 Bill Cowley decided to forge a path forty two miles across the wilds of the North Yorkshire Moors from Osmotherly, a small village nestled in the valleys at the edge of the moors, to Ravenscar, perched on the high cliffs of the East Coast. But not just any path, it would follow loosely the route the monks took while carrying coffins in order to bury their dead colleagues at sea, supposedly their preferred resting place. [Hence the club badge of a coffin] There were many monasteries around Osmotherly, some of which remain to this day...Mount Grace Priory, Rievaulx Abbey and Fountains Abbey to name but three.
On the 28th June 1980 I was invited to join a party who were attempting a crossing. By this time the paths and club were well established, and only by completing a Lyke Wake Walk within 24 hours could one become a member of the club. After setting off from the Sheepwash car park [The official starting place] at midnight, we walked through the night and into the following day where at 14:50 we arrived at the Radio Mast [The official Finish] in Ravenscar, and on that day I became a member of the Lyke Wake Club. To say it was the toughest thing I’d ever done would be a gross understatement, but it was more satisfying and rewarding than anything I had ever done...
After three more crossings in 1981 and two in 1982, I decided to try and run one, at that time runners capable of running 42 miles were thin on the ground, so it would have to be a solo attempt. A work colleague deposited me at the start and I completed the route in eight and a half hours, being collected at the finish by Mum & Dad.
I discovered that for one day each year a race was held for previous successful crossers, support would be supplied and record attempts would be considered, but the usual 24 hour limit would be reduced to 12 hours, after which, support would be removed. So after three more crossings and a double crossing....[There and back in 30 hours] on the 12th July 1986 I lined up on the start line and completed my first fell race over 42 miles in six hours and forty minutes where I achieved 40th position out of 84 successful runners.
A succession of fell races followed but the Lyke Wake Race became my favourite and I competed every year until my last crossing in 1996. Unfortunately life gets in the way and being made redundant from my job of 22 years presented more important priorities, running continues to this day but that would be the last time I would visit those rugged windswept moors. Never say never though....

This is part of my 1991 results sheet, there were over 100 runners taking part. Sorry about the quality....I came 12th and I've underlined my name....

This was taken at the finish of that 1991 42 mile fell run, completed in 6 hours 1 minute....

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Floydy that brilliant, at 26 miles I'll try it when the days are longer. Perhaps drive to Hornsea and bus back to the start in Hull.......Should take me about eight hours....
Lol mate, had to chuckle at that
It sounded as if you were planning to drive to Hornsea, leave your car there and get the bus straight back to Hull. No walk inbetween? And eight hours is a very long round-the-houses trip on a bus! Also, then you would be stranded in Hull without a car
I know what you mean bud

Page 259 of 370 « First < 159 209 249 257 258 259 260 261 269 309 359 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top