Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Trojan Horse!

Back in the day, a wooden horse was left outside the walls of the city.
The incumbents saw it as a rather interesting gift!
Sadly, the gift was just a trick as the horse contained lots of soldiers who came out, after the horse was dragged inside, and overcame the city.
All was lost, the war was over!

Moving forward, into modern times, the concept of the "Trojan Horse" is still alive, and well, in the world of Computing.

We all know the Trojan Horse story but, maybe, we are not sharp enough to spot the derivative "Trojan" which drops into our inbox almost on a daily basis.

Yes, our modern Trojan" is very often in the shape of an incoming email - with an attachment.

To do any damage, the attachment has to be carried in and welcomed onto our PCs where, subsequently, it causes mayhem and damage.

Most of us already know this and are wary of any odd email offers.

Some of us, are less than careful.

So, how does a huge "Ransomeware" hit on the NHS take place?

Almost certainly on the back of one, or more, Trojan email attachments?

The bottom line is " What sort of training and protection are the technical men/women of the NHS providing, on our behalf, to make sure that no-one drags any of this stuff in?"

Is there a competent IT department?

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Re: Trojan Horse!

The news today, Saturday, is that Microsoft have been sending out updates, to Windows Systems still qualifying for support, which would have prevented the types of hacking attack in the news this week.

I put this in here to get wider reading for those who don't watch the Technology Postings.

More about that in our Technology Section.(Disable W10 updates?)

Are you protected?

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Are you protected?

I hope so, I seem to get constant security updates from Windows 10 including this one updated every few weeks ....

Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - April 2017 (KB890830)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I hope so, I seem to get constant security updates from Windows 10 including this one updated every few weeks ....

Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - April 2017 (KB890830)
This is what MS say about the tool:-

"Once a month, a new version of the Malicious Software Removal tool appears in Windows Update. This tool removes some malware from Windows systems, particularly those systems without antivirus programs installed.

Bear in mind that this tool is no substitute for a solid antivirus program. It doesn’t run automatically in the background at all times, and only detects a few specific and widespread types of malware."

In other words, it probably is doing the job - but I won't be opening any attachments for quite a while.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 11:57 AM

The problem is this....crime does pay.
This attracts the very best experts, far better than the NHS would or even could employ.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:18 PM

This is what MS say about the tool:-

"Once a month, a new version of the Malicious Software Removal tool appears in Windows Update. This tool removes some malware from Windows systems, particularly those systems without antivirus programs installed.

Bear in mind that this tool is no substitute for a solid antivirus program. It doesn’t run automatically in the background at all times, and only detects a few specific and widespread types of malware."

In other words, it probably is doing the job - but I won't be opening any attachments for quite a while.
Ted no one seems to send me 'attachments' I wouldn't open them anyway. Very few people have my email address
and for those who do (businesses mainly ) if I need to know or see anything I visit their site using my own link.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 12:36 PM

In this recent case many NHS Trusts are still running XP, which does not have support from Microsoft.

This ransom-ware can only be activated by opening an infected email attachment, which, when opened, encrypts the server, denying access to the user.

The simple way to get round this encryption is to install a pre attack back-up of the server. Any decent technician would do this as a matter of course.

If they haven't got a pre attack back-up, then they're stuffed.

I did read in the Observer today that in order for the attachment to work, the program has to connect to a bogus domain name and, once bounced back to the sender, triggers the encryption.

An enterprising programmer spotted this bogus domain and actually registered it, which stopped the attack in it's tracks, but not, unfortunately, before most of Europe was infected.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Good points, Fogey!

I just hope that one or two readers check their backup process.

And install any updates....!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 02:09 PM

The news today, Saturday, is that Microsoft have been sending out updates, to Windows Systems still qualifying for support, which would have prevented the types of hacking attack in the news this week.

I put this in here to get wider reading for those who don't watch the Technology Postings.

More about that in our Technology Section.(Disable W10 updates?)

Are you protected?

Whenever I do a Windows Update, I can guarantee it will bugger something up on my laptop, so I tend to avoid them.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Understandable, Longdogs, and when Microsoft get past this mess they might want to consider why some users are having these sorts of issues.

The only people who never have problems seem to be the ones who have it all done for them by the Company IT department.

(That hasn't worked for the NHS!!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top