Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Re: Disable Windows 10 Updates

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Just spotted this on the Beeb re Windows 10 updates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39152770

That's good - but you only get three days.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The recent introduction of Office 365 also worries me that Microsoft might push a similar system for Windows: you are obliged to pay rental every year in order to continue to use it.
Actually, JBR, it's true that it will cost 60 Pounds per year For Office Home 365.

But you can buy it, as before, for £120 using the office "Home & Student edition" and, I think £230 for the full Office 365 Home Edition.

I think it's not such a bad deal as they'll probably bring out a new package every couple of years and at the 60 pounds per year lease price, for the full package, that might just work out OK.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Actually, JBR, it's true that it will cost 60 Pounds per year For Office Home 365.

But you can buy it, as before, for £120 using the office "Home & Student edition" and, I think £230 for the full Office 365 Home Edition.

I think it's not such a bad deal as they'll probably bring out a new package every couple of years and at the 60 pounds per year lease price, for the full package, that might just work out OK.
Oh yes, I have bought Office (2007 I think), but I wouldn't want to pay regularly for its use. This version works just fine and I don't really want any 'improved' version.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
How many updates is it offering you, Aerolor?

Is your upgraded version of W10 working OK?
Did you upgrade it from W7 or W8?
If you didn't do a clean install it would be relatively easy to go back to W7 or W8 , in the event that the updates cause a problem, as that is the fall back arrangement.
My new laptop is working fine with W10 Tedc and currently there are 8 updates it wants me to install and I don't have a clue what they are or whether I need them. My old laptop I upgraded to W10 from W7 and it seemed to work for the best part of a year. Then it started warning me about updaes and drivers which I must install. I hadn't a clue but then the laptop started to get unreliable and I lost some of the W10 update somehow. That was when I abandoned the old lappy and bought a new one about a fortnight ago. Now this new lappy keeps asking me to install updates and I wish it would just get on with doing it if they are really needed. I did install one bjut am not confident about installing the rest of them. W7 always seemed to insall its own updates without giving me all the choices. Surely with a new laptop I shouldn't need to be installing 8/9 updates so soon. Confused.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Maybe try reading the whole thread again Aerolor. Plenty has been said for and against installing updates. Also perhaps look around for other opinions on the wider Internet. It might all help you to decide what to do.

Other operating systems get updates regularly. A percentage of computer users prefer Linux operating systems to MS Windows. Users of the various Linux distros (variations of the Linux operating system) get far more updates made available than Windows users.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2017, 01:17 AM

Interestingly, I just had another look in Control Panel/Services/Windows Update, which I presently have set as 'disabled'.

It occurred to me to now try the 'manual' option to see what happens.

I'm hoping that it might, just might, provide the old Windows 7 option of decided whether or not to install!

We shall see.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

05-03-2017, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by realist ->
lols silbee

the "campaigns of fear" are the tactics used by all governments and all large conglomerates to pressure the sheeple to do what they want them to do.

I've had win 7 for many years. I disabled windows updates from the very outset. My laptop does not have one single ms update, security or otherwise.

I have never had a single problem.

I configure my computers in a way that i deem sensible.

I disable javascript which means no website can run any nasty scripts/programmes when i visit webpages. It also means those webpages run significantly faster. It also means i don't get any of those stupid pop up windows which can often lead to viruses and malware.

I have my ie settings well configured. Reasonable levels of security and privacy.

I have a large list of blocked sites configured in ie. You can download lists of known sites that cause viruses and issues off the internet. Those lists also contain most of the urls that are responsible for adverts and banners. Life is fantastic without all that crap.

I have configured my firewall to block the ip addresses of lots of nuisance websites. I have most of google blocked, such as googleadservices and so on. I have all of facebooks server ip addresses blocked, so they can't track me.

I also have my "hosts" file highly configured, again blocking or redirecting many hundreds of known suspect ip addresses. It's all out there on the internet, waiting to be freely downloaded with full instructions on how to set it up.

Just takes the will to take security seriously and to want to stop the bully boy companies tracking you.

Ms updates are bs imo. For most people, totally unnecessary. You have no clue what they contain anyway so installing them is a pure act of faith in ms.

W10 heralds a new wave of control. Ms will "own" your pc/laptop from this point on imo. They will force people to take updates one way or another. They will create a platform which instead of being a functional o/s, is more of a platform to sell you stuff on, just like a smart phone.

It will cost you money in the long run.

Win 7 is stable, works well, and leaves you in control. Stay with it imo.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

05-03-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
My new laptop is working fine with W10 Tedc and currently there are 8 updates it wants me to install and I don't have a clue what they are or whether I need them. My old laptop I upgraded to W10 from W7 and it seemed to work for the best part of a year. Then it started warning me about updaes and drivers which I must install. I hadn't a clue but then the laptop started to get unreliable and I lost some of the W10 update somehow. That was when I abandoned the old lappy and bought a new one about a fortnight ago. Now this new lappy keeps asking me to install updates and I wish it would just get on with doing it if they are really needed. I did install one bjut am not confident about installing the rest of them. W7 always seemed to insall its own updates without giving me all the choices. Surely with a new laptop I shouldn't need to be installing 8/9 updates so soon. Confused.
Hi Aerolor!

Taking the last item first, it is very common to get lots of updates in the early life of a Windows product. W10 is no exception.

That happens partly because MS can only do so much testing of all the various PCs and applications before they put the software out into the world at large.

So as they see conflicts "out there" they issue updates to ensure these get corrected ASAP.

In terms of whether to let your Laptop install these updates I would suggest that you do install them.

There a lots of stories around about updates causing problems, and some have done so, but when you think of all the millions of laptops out there, in the world, the odds of failure are quite low.

If I were you, I'd let them install. But before doing so, I'd make sure system restore is turned on (Control Panel/Recovery/System Restore). Create a Restore item (instructions are in there) and then, if an update clobbers your Laptop you can do a Restore to take you back before the update.

Also, I'd make sure I had a backup of all my files - just for safety & good practice anyway.

Do one laptop and ensure it is ok before doing the other.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Sound advice, Ted.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Thank you Ted - I'll give it a go. I've got a back up stick done and I've only had this new laptop a couple of weeks. If it goes wrong I'll take it back to the shop.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top