Join for free
Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 05:54 PM

Re: Statins

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Hi Susan, I am on Atorvastatin now, but since going on them my lungs seem to have suffered, I am going through intensive tests to see what the cause is. My cholesterol is 3.6. Arthur
Can't quite work that out - you're on Atorvastatin yet your level is 3.6?
Why are you still on Atorvastatin?

I have asthma as well as a high Cholesterol of 7.7 (last check, October 2012) and I have a lot of problems but I'm on Atorvastatin and I've had no lung problems that could be down to Atorvastatin or none that I've actually been told about.

By the way susiejaeger, if you have familial cholesterol problems the food you eat makes no difference whatsoever.
I actually take in very little cholesterol from foods because I already have a fairly healthy diet.
My problem is over-production of cholesterol so don't forget that we do need some cholesterol!

I've read posts on other sites from people on 2.6 level STILL taking 30mg of Statins daily.

Ask your doctor - that's not good cutting cholesterol further at such a low rate. stevmk2
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Martin I have a history of blocked arteries, so that is why I am on statins.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 06:52 PM

I have been on Simvastatin for several years, was also on aspirin daily (only reason for this seemed to be that it was generally prescribed at my age)also as a TypeII am on Metformin and medication for blood pressure. And I WAS on Elanopril (Enalopril?). Okay, first I stopped taking the aspirin myself at advice of pharmacist who said it really was unnecessary if I had not had heart problems. Then about three years ago I developed a condition called Angioedema which is known to be triggered by any of the 'pril' family of blood pressure tablets, well at least known by hospital doctors but not by pharmacists or G.P.'s at least not at the time. Indeed when I went to my, then, G.P. and showed him photographic evidence of the facial swellings and huge red blotches I suffered, his initial reaction was "What do you want me to do about it?" I kid you not!!

Eventually three years later after several visits to Casualty (when the condition caused my tongue to swell up), a change of surgery, and a referral to a Dermatologist and it was agreed that I had developed this Angioedema. Furthermore the leaflet he gave me indicated that the condition is primarily triggered by three different medications, Aspirin, any of the 'pril family of blood pressure medication, and Statins. Of course as I take all three I have no comeback as all could blame one of the others. But Be Warned!. I am also now undergoing tests to ascertain how much muscle wastage I have suffered because of the Simvastatin, as my lower back and thigh muscles have lost a significant amount of strength.

Oh and apropos Statin doses, there has been recent legislation which reduces the dosage of these if you are also on blood pressure medication. Generally the dose has been halved.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 07:17 PM

i take them just gave uyp meat 3 weeks ago its going good
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2013, 07:37 PM

Martin my Cholestral is 5.1 so I am in the normal range, but I have always been 4.2 without any tablets.

Daisymay, its funny because I used to get tongue and glands swell up and I was on Enalopril, they changed mine to another pill for BP.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 03:08 AM

I'm in Oz and we have had the same discussions here. I'm on simvastitin and asked my GP about it. Her opinion was that it will be eventually discovered that those who have side effects from it, have a genetic predisposition for that, and if there have been no side effects after some tome, it means you don't have that predisposition. That made sense to me.

I have been taking it for over five years with no side effects. She is a good GP who is thorough, encourages healthy lifestyle and supplements where needed, along with the usual treatments, and on her advice I take magnesium, Omega8 and Vitamin D (we have a serious VitD deficiency problem here, believe it ir not) and I also take BP meds. I think you just have to feel happy with your GP, trust their knowledge and use your common sense.

Information from the internet and from other unqualified people can be dangerous. Everyone has a point of view and everyone is pushing their own barrow. For example, it is plain silly to tell people that all they need to do is change their diet and stop eating fatty foods. That simply doesn't work for those who have an hereditary factor.

My partner just had a triple bypass due to blocked arteries. He has never smoked, nor drank much, rarely eaten junk food and takes exercise BUT three of his brothers and his father all had the same. Pointless telling them to just change their diet.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 05:31 PM

I think your GP talks a lot of sense Jaywalker.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I'm in Oz and we have had the same discussions here. I'm on simvastitin and asked my GP about it. Her opinion was that it will be eventually discovered that those who have side effects from it, have a genetic predisposition for that, and if there have been no side effects after some time, it means you don't have that predisposition. That made sense to me.

I have been taking it for over five years with no side effects. She is a good GP who is thorough, encourages healthy lifestyle and supplements where needed, along with the usual treatments, and on her advice I take magnesium, Omega8 and Vitamin D (we have a serious VitD deficiency problem here, believe it ir not) and I also take BP meds. I think you just have to feel happy with your GP, trust their knowledge and use your common sense.

Information from the internet and from other unqualified people can be dangerous. Everyone has a point of view and everyone is pushing their own barrow. For example, it is plain silly to tell people that all they need to do is change their diet and stop eating fatty foods. That simply doesn't work for those who have an hereditary factor.
Well put Jaywalker!
I'm one of those that diet has no effect on whatsoever and my diet is pretty healthy.

There's a lot of nonsense about cholesterol on the internet too and one thing I don't like is the financial incentives given to GPs here to prescribe Statins plus the sheer rubbish some GPs spout about Statins.

I was told by a Doctor I'd never seen before "You should be on Statins!" when he'd not even examined me.
He based this on Xanthomas that I have around my eyes, which I knew about and also knew how they came about because his colleague had misdiagnosed the infections I suffered from and told me to use an antiseptic cream when what I needed at the time was an antibiotic cream to clear the infection.

He insisted I should be on Statins and then told me that the Xanthomas would "disappear" if I took Statins!

Absolute poppycock and this is the twaddle GPs peddle at times to justify putting you on potentially dangerous medication without proper checks.

Pravastatins made me very ill and they also caused major problems for a friend of mine some years ago and he ended up in Intensive Care in hospital - because of the damage Pravastatin did to his Liver!

When I was first prescribed Statins I asked if there was anything else that I should do and I was told No.
That's not the truth and anyone on Statins for any length of time knows that from experience.

In my case it was severe muscle spasms, cramps and a distended liver plus I was always tired.

I'm now on 10mg Atorvastatin per day, take Co-Enzyme Q10 plus vitamins and I've had a recent blood test so I'm waiting to see the Doc to see how it reduced my 7.7 cholesterol level. stevmk2
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Yes Steve I agree about Statins, I had very severe muscle spasma and cramp in both legs, that's why the Hospital took me off them, now I don't take anything at all and i'm fine.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes Steve I agree about Statins, I had very severe muscle spasma and cramp in both legs, that's why the Hospital took me off them, now I don't take anything at all and i'm fine.
Your cholesterol is border line though Susan at 5.1.
Her indoors GP says has type 2 diabetes at that level, so they have put her on statins and brought it down between 3 and 3.6
And her diabetes is completely under control.

Page 17 of 18 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top