Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

27-05-2013, 01:05 AM

Re: French Soldier Stabbed In Neck In Paris

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Whilst I understand that sentiment, it has two flaws:

1. the people living today are not responsible in any way, shape or form for what happened decades ago let alone centuries ago;

2. the ordinary 'man' in the street has no more say now than they did back in the times of the Crusades. If retribution is sought, it shouldn't be against people who played no part in the decision making process. The ordinary man in the street is not their enemy and, I would guess, never has been.
never heard of collective moral responsibility in your academic musings - it will be under social philosophy perhaps. Mind you can't imagine you being an adherent - the words 'collective moral responsibility' don't fit
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
never heard of collective moral responsibility in your academic musings - it will be under social philosophy perhaps. Mind you can't imagine you being an adherent - the words 'collective moral responsibility' don't fit
Collective moral responsibility (in the incorrect sense in which you are using it) is nothing more than handwringing liberal guilt, and is a pointless exercise. Individuals cannot be held morally responsible for actions which occurred sometimes generations before they were born. It is nonsense like this which leads to talk of apologies and reparations for slavery, for example. When such things are discussed, surprise, surprise, it is only the evil "West" that is expected to make such apologies and reparations. No-one ever targets the arab slave traders who initiated the North African slave trade, no-one ever targets the african tribes who raided the villages of other tribes and sold their captives into slavery. No, it is only the "West" (the same "West" which banned the slave trade and abolished slavery) which gets the blame.

The concept of collective moral responsibility (properly used) actually relates to groups/nations/corporations and was a response to arguments about the german people's moral responsibility for the atrocities carried out in their name by the nazis. Your notion of collective moral responsibility would still see us blaming today's young germans for nazi atrocities - an obvious nonsense.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

27-05-2013, 10:16 AM

I don't think the neo-Natzis would agree with you on that one!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:53 AM

What have neo-nazis got to do with anything I have said above???? Just like always, you don't put forward a reasoned response, just make a childish little irrelevant jab. Very tiresome!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Indeed .....

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Well Davo, if you want to talk about 'collective moral responsibility' how about practicing what you preach and seeking full restitution of all lands and rights stolen from the indigenous Aboriginees by the Australian Government???
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
Yes, of course I've heard of it - I also know it's a concept. Done the whole sociology and philosophy bit - most of it was utter rubbish (philosophy marginally better though).

No, I do not support the notion of collective moral responsibility if involves blaming Group X for something done to Group Y by Group Z hundreds of years ago; I tend to like to blame the ones who were actually responsible - not just the ones that are currently available.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Well Davo, if you want to talk about 'collective moral responsibility' how about practicing what you preach and seeking full restitution of all lands and rights stolen from the indigenous Aboriginees by the Australian Government???
Uncle Joe! How could you say such a thing! The Australian Government, I'll have you know, have worked very hard on land repatriation to the Aboriginies; granted it was to prevent them getting it but even so - your implication they've done nothing at all in that field ...
mindbender
mindbender is male 

28-05-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
we're working on it have no fear - since arriving in OZ I have worked with and for many Indigenous colleagues and organizations and will continue to do so - great strides are being made but we don't always shout about them - quietly quietly catch the monkey
mindbender
mindbender is male 

28-05-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
What have neo-nazis got to do with anything I have said above???? Just like always, you don't put forward a reasoned response, just make a childish little irrelevant jab. Very tiresome!
lets get something straight on here MickB - you don't set the rules of postings or styles - you have your own style of presenting - others have theirs - we can and do respond as we wish if you don't like it move on!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top