Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:15 PM

Who Cares

There is much spouting on many subjects, politics, religion, Gender Bending, but at the end of the day, how much do these major issues impact on your everyday lives, it's alright gobbing off on these issues, but would you alter your everyday regime, to fundamentally change the way things are?.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2013, 11:22 PM

Re: Who Cares

There may be a good chance I have posted similar before.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 12:36 AM

They may not impact on our own personal lives but they impact on others' lives and on us in wider ways. My father brought me up to believe that everyone should do what little they can to improve the world and I agree with him. I've tried to do that in my life through the job I had and through the organisations I'm involved in now. Many ordinary people doing small things together can effect change.

He also believed that you shouldn't moan and complain about things if you're not actively trying to change them even if it's just by voting or speaking up publicly and I go along with that too.

I would happily pay more tax if it was going to improve health and education. What did you have in mind as "altering your everyday regime"?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 05:00 AM

Here, here Jaywalker. There are millions of very sorrowful people in the world and, while we can't wave a magic wand and put everything right, at least we can do a little to help and influence slightly those who have the power to bring about change.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 05:37 AM

I doubt if anyone here has any influence at all - 12 regular posters on current issues and politics and discussions - come off it!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There is much spouting on many subjects, politics, religion, Gender Bending, but at the end of the day, how much do these major issues impact on your everyday lives, it's alright gobbing off on these issues, but would you alter your everyday regime, to fundamentally change the way things are?.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee. (John Donne)
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 05:50 AM

nice on Bruce - not enough bell tolling around here!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Mindbender, I challenge you to donate £50 to Oxfam today. Do so and someone somewhere will find their life improved just slightly. Multiply that act by 1 billion and and great amount of good will have been done.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Mindbender, I challenge you to donate £50 to Oxfam today. Do so and someone somewhere will find their life improved just slightly. Multiply that act by 1 billion and and great amount of good will have been done.
you would be challenging me and yourself to lose money then Alan and you really haven't done your homework well.

Google 'does aid help Africa' or such phrases and you will find a huge amount of literature that says no - just a few are pocketing the money. Dambisa Moyo is a highly qualified African and has written several books on the topic and is back in Africa trying to help her own people improve without foreign aid. This is what she says:

In the past fifty years, more than $1 trillion in development-related aid has been transferred from rich countries to Africa. Has this assistance improved the lives of Africans? No. In fact, across the continent, the recipients of this aid are not better off as a result of it, but worse—much worse.

In Dead Aid, Dambisa Moyo describes the state of postwar development policy in Africa today and unflinchingly confronts one of the greatest myths of our time: that billions of dollars in aid sent from wealthy countries to developing African nations has helped to reduce poverty and increase growth.

In fact, poverty levels continue to escalate and growth rates have steadily declined—and millions continue to suffer.
Alan you need get out of the garden and do some research and be less emotional about these things!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

29-05-2013, 06:18 AM

So that's a NO then Mindbender, you'll keep your money in your pocket. You do that if it makes you happy, I'll continue to give my occasional £50.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top