Join for free
Reply
Surfermom's Avatar
Surfermom
Senior Member
Surfermom is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4,505
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 04:30 AM
1

Entertainment for One

When I was a kid, there were all sorts of movies and television shows that we could all watch together. Sure, we were all probably making compromises as to how much we really enjoyed what we were watching, but there were plenty that we could agree to watch. It was a shared experience.

Now, on the rare occasions I get to sit down with my young adult kids, we scroll and scroll and scroll, choose something that sounds so-so, and then more often than not - give up.

Is entertainment across generations dead?
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 38,694
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 01:30 PM
2

Re: Entertainment for One

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
When I was a kid, there were all sorts of movies and television shows that we could all watch together. Sure, we were all probably making compromises as to how much we really enjoyed what we were watching, but there were plenty that we could agree to watch. It was a shared experience.

Now, on the rare occasions I get to sit down with my young adult kids, we scroll and scroll and scroll, choose something that sounds so-so, and then more often than not - give up.

Is entertainment across generations dead?
That's a shame isn't it. I think over all entertainment is dead. It's rare that we get a decent film on TV (here in the UK at least) and 'entertainment' programmes are rarely entertaining. Over the Christmas period was a good example of rubbish TV. Most of the Sky channels just carry on as though nothing happened; repeats of house buying programmes and criminals caught on camera.

There were lots of animated films, which is great for the kids but I'm afraid I am past all that now. It says something about our programmes when the best ones to watch are 20-30 years old.

What we have to remember is that TV is all about the money it generates and nothing to do with the tripe they broadcast.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 21,204
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 01:40 PM
3

Re: Entertainment for One

Hi

Nope, some things are timeless.

The Ealing Comedies for example.

It does not all have to be digital.

We had great fun on Christmas Day playing Twister with the littlies.
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 38,694
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 01:41 PM
4

Re: Entertainment for One

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, some things are timeless.

The Ealing Comedies for example.

It does not all have to be digital.

We had great fun on Christmas Day playing Twister with the littlies.

I agree, I love the Ealing comedies too but would a teenager enjoy them?
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 21,204
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 01:47 PM
5

Re: Entertainment for One

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree, I love the Ealing comedies too but would a teenager enjoy them?
Hi

Strange, but they do, it is something so different for them.

Carry On Films are also a big hit with them, the humour is very basic.
Reply With Quote
Surfermom's Avatar
Surfermom
Senior Member
Surfermom is offline
United States
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 4,505
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 04:40 PM
6

Re: Entertainment for One

I have never heard of the Ealing comedies, but I will check them out.

My mother and I often laugh about a time a graphic scene came up on the screen when I was sitting between my mother and grandmother in a movie theater. We froze up like statues, but my mother got so tickled that she burst out laughing. So much for relaxation!

My frustration is that the world of media is trying to normalize crossing boundaries (like with whom and when certain language and sexual references are made), that I'm stubbornly not going to accept in my own home where I hope we all find as a sanctuary from the madness. I respect my kids too much.

It's a good thing we can ride bikes!
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 21,204
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-01-2020, 05:11 PM
7

Re: Entertainment for One

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have never heard of the Ealing comedies, but I will check them out.

My mother and I often laugh about a time a graphic scene came up on the screen when I was sitting between my mother and grandmother in a movie theater. We froze up like statues, but my mother got so tickled that she burst out laughing. So much for relaxation!

My frustration is that the world of media is trying to normalize crossing boundaries (like with whom and when certain language and sexual references are made), that I'm stubbornly not going to accept in my own home where I hope we all find as a sanctuary from the madness. I respect my kids too much.

It's a good thing we can ride bikes!
Hi

Totally agree Surfermom.

Nadi, aged 10, knows all about Lesbians, including the fact my daughter is one.

Aged 10, it is not for her, she does not like boys, smelly stupid things, but wants to be a mummy when she gets older.

Very happy with that.

She is a very intelligent, astute young lady and pretend Grandad, me, has already taught her how to look after herself.

She was comfortable enough to tell me about about an older boy, but not her Dad.

He will not be trying to grab her again, he is in too much pain.

She sorted him all herself
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.