Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Re: Dogs - sheesh!

Thing is I have always felt I train my dogs to not be a nuisance to me, to generally live within my rules but they probably won't be what others enjoy, but the key is I don't inflict them on anyone else. If you visit I put them on leads and they sit happily at my feet but let them off they would mob you to death so leads are my way to keep you unmolested. Again out and about leads keep them from leaping all over anyone who doesn't want to be leapt upon. But say it's OK and you meet the close up and personal Molliepops and Bettypoos - no surface unlicked and no person uninvestigated thoroughly.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 05:17 PM

We have virtually stopped taking our two small dogs out due to irresponsible people who walk their dogs off the lead.........completely illegal here. The law here is that ALL dogs MUST be on leads when out, no matter where, and as far as I'm concerned quite right too. Taking our dogs for a walk became a nightmare as other peoples dogs were constantly bounding towards us, some big, some small, but the owners think it funny. Well I don't and more than once people have had the wrong end of my tongue and asked if they can read, there are notices everywhere saying that dogs must be on leads. Fortunately our dogs are small, but very active and we have a large garden where they can run and play in safety. Laws here regarding dogs are very strict, unfortunately of course impossible to implement, but those who are caught find themselves paying very large fines and all the dog's paperwork checked. So basically I don't care who you are as a dog owner, keep your dog on a lead wherever you are, safer for other people and their dogs, also safer for your own dog.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mark the same could be said of cars. If you allow an aggressive person to own a certain make of car they seem to become even more aggressive and a danger to themselves and others. Could we then restrict the kind of car a person can own?
Well not really as the owner of the car does have control at all times which is not the case with a dog off a leash. A car without a driver is just a static lump of metal whereas an aggressive dog off a lead can roam at will and can cause mayhem wherever they go.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Can't help but think a bit laterally with all this talk about responsible dog ownership. (With which, I do agree, though.)

While we're at it, could we have parents compulsorily trained in responsible parenting too and sort out the out of control dangerous children?

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

While we're at it, could we have parents compulsorily trained in responsible parenting too and sort out the out of control dangerous children?

Yes please - I would vote for that !
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 07:48 PM

I wouldnt entertain the idea of owning a dog, unless a breed was introduced which didnt POO.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 07:24 AM

It is definitely the owner not the dog. I have never been nervous of dogs having been an owner myself in the past. Now I am wary.
I was attacked on two occasions in my own garden; the owner tried to bully me into believing that it was my own fault.... you can see who the dog as copying! In light of the owner's attitude, and besides next time the dog might kill a child, I called the police and a PC came along with the council dog warden to sort it out. The owner went sneaking around gossiping!

The result was that the dog owner had to erect a fence to keep the unruly dog in.
I can now visit my own garden without fear of attack, my garden is not covered in dog poo as it had been and the shy birds have returned to my garden, at times it is like sitting in my own private aviary, they disappear into the shrubbery as soon as said dog starts barking.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 07:47 AM

PS
after all that ranting I forgot to say that the owners have never apologised either for the dog attacks or for the woman's subsequent behaviour and for that reason I pity the dog and consider the owners ignorant pigs!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

Seconded!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Something to ponder

The modern terms cynic and cynical derive from the Greek word kynikos, the adjective form of kyon, meaning dog.[39] Diogenes believed human beings live artificially and hypocritically and would do well to study the dog. Besides performing natural bodily functions in public without unease, a dog will eat anything, and make no fuss about where to sleep. Dogs live in the present without anxiety, and have no use for the pretensions of abstract philosophy. In addition to these virtues, dogs are thought to know instinctively who is friend and who is foe. Unlike human beings who either dupe others or are duped, dogs will give an honest bark at the truth. (Wikipedia)

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top