Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Mother-in-Law

I've mentioned before - somewhere - about my 92-year-old MIM having an accident recently, well, it's got worse.

She was behaving very stragely in the Hospital but everyone kept saying it was shock or the upheaval but now BIL says she's terrible and should not have been released as far as he is concerned.

She is still hallucinating, having nightmares and basically talking complete gibberish he says.

She was released to his care but he cannot leave her at all so he can't go to work he says.

His wife has suddenly developed 'Flu so she's in bed all day he says.

What he expects us to do at this moment is beyond me!

I sympathise and my wife's very worried but there's not a lot I can do at this moment. stevmk2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Re: Mother-in-Law

She needs a scan asap.

My FIL fell from the stairs and afterwards his behaviour was never the same. Some of his behaviour sound very much like what you are describing... He became quite argumentative too,,, He would not allow a doctor to exmine him but wewere told it was quite possible he had suffered a head injury which because it wasnt treated led to this permenant change in behaviour.

Dont want to worry you but it really must be checked out.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 07:45 PM

She should probably be checked for an infection or pneumonia as being confused and disorientated is ofter the only sign in a frail elderly person.
Pneumonia can quickly become a major problem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 08:46 PM

Why on earth have they sent her home ? she clearly needs more tests to find out what is wrong.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Also sounds like post trauma delirium. 1 person in 8 has it. Surprised they sent her home though. Wee soul.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Wonder if it could be a urine infection ?
My late mother had a few of these and the first time she was definitely hallucinating ... scary stuff, especially as she felt fine and seemed to be normal in every other way
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel;661895[B
]Wonder if it could be a urine infection ?[/B]
My late mother had a few of these and the first time she was definitely hallucinating ... scary stuff, especially as she felt fine and seemed to be normal in every other way

Spot on Rachel. I was just going to say the same.

Steve, tell the BIL to get a urine sample to the GP a.s.a.p. or if he can't, ask the district nurse to come and take it asap.
This happened to my Mum several times, and I also saw it loads of times in old folks home I worked in.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Error, posted twice.
Oh no you haven't

Mum was telling me that the people next door were having something done to their roof and the builder had a monkey in his van with him because they often have those don't they ?

Eeeeeeeek ... no Mum and there was nothing going on next door either
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 02:14 PM

Oh yes I did. (but managed to delete the second time).

My Mum got the same Rachel, its weird how a urine infection can do that isn't it.
I knew the signs in the end, and got her antibiotics quickly and it sorted it out then.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

06-06-2015, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh yes I did. (but managed to delete the second time).

My Mum got the same Rachel, its weird how a urine infection can do that isn't it.
I knew the signs in the end, and got her antibiotics quickly and it sorted it out then.

Yes .. we had no idea these infections could produce hallucinations and really thought dementia had kicked in big time. Easily and quickly sorted, as you say

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top