Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 01:18 AM

Can Dogs Have Cooked Pork Mince?

Whilst in Sainsburys today, they were selling off pork mince, so l thought l would get some for my Toy Poodle to add to his dry food. I thought I had better check up first to see if was advisable to give dogs pork mince, so l 'googled' it. It said it could cause worms in dogs if it was fed raw or wasn't cooked enough. It also suggested keeping it in the freezer first for a few weeks to kill any parasites.
I'm wondering now if it's not a good idea to feed him the minced pork and wondered if anyone has fed it to their dogs?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 01:22 AM

Re: Can Dogs Have Cooked Pork Mince?

I would say as long as the meat is cooked through it's safe to feed your dog though it may not contain the vitamins and minerals found in pet food that they supposedly need
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Think it would be ok cooked . Only problem might be if it was too fatty .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Hi

Fear not Art.

The parasite is Trichinosis, as rare as hens teeth here in the UK.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 10:04 AM

I can just imagine a dog in the wild deciding to make and eat a pork pie.
First of all he would have to catch -kill and prepare the meat . Next the dog would have to sneak into a store and steal a pasty mix.

So now he has everything so gathers some sticks and manages to make a fire. Places the mix into a bowl and cooks until the pie is ready to eat.

I don't think so somehow, dogs digestion and human digestion is different or else humans would chew on bones. What goes into pork pies could very well cause more problems inside your dog.

How many times have i seen very overweight dogs tryinig to walk because the owner feeds it human food off the table

Stay with what has been produced as animal food, there is so much choice out there so no need to feed it anything else
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2016, 10:11 AM

Hi Art people who feed a 'raw' (BARF) diet use pork as part of the diet but because they aren't cooking it freeze it for some days first to kill off 'nasties'.

Some dogs find pork rather rich if fed on its own and that can cause diarrhoea . If you do feeding it I would add it gradually to the usual diet or mix it with something else.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 06:01 PM

Just to say, I am feeding my dog with the cooked Pork mince added to his dried food and he loves it! It hasn't caused any tummy upsets yet!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 07:16 PM

In moderation I see no problems. Feeding a dog a chocolate for a `treat` is not on though
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
In moderation I see no problems. Feeding a dog a chocolate for a `treat` is not on though
Gosh! OG, l would never give him or any other dog... Chocolate!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Gosh! OG, l would never give him or any other dog... Chocolate!
Quite. But you would be horrified by the times I have seen it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top