Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Labrador Nose Bleeds

Any advice welcome on this one.

My ten year old black lab Zack sometimes has nose bleeds. Over the past year he has had four sessions, the last being yesterday and last night. He only bleeds out of the right nostril but the distance he can sneeze is amazing. The kitchen looked like a war zone. However, we took him to the vet once again and he advised an x-ray, which he is having on Friday, but the vet seems to think it could be either a tumour or a fungal infection, which eats into the bone.

We were told this when he had his other episodes but he seems too well generally and always seems to recover after a course of antibiotics. Anyway, my question is has anyone any experience of anything similar? It would be good to hear of a happy ending if you have one!

Barry
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Re: Labrador Nose Bleeds

Sorry to hear your dog is having problems Plantman. A year is quite a long time, so it is probably not a foreign body (like a grass seed). Have you looked to see if he has any dental problems - a dental abcess or badly decayed tooth could possibly be to blame. Has your vet mentioned polyps or benign growths which fill up and burst. The X-ray will find out what is wrong and I do hope it is something that can be sorted out easily.
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Does this happen only in the winter months?
I called my cousin-who is a vet- & he asked me that question so I am asking it of you.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dragon ->
Does this happen only in the winter months?
I called my cousin-who is a vet- & he asked me that question so I am asking it of you.
No dragon, it has happened both summer and winter. He has had hay fever in the autumn since he was a pup (he's ten now) and we give him Piriton year round for that. The vet said that wasn't a factor because he only ever bleeds from the right nostril, not both. Thanks for taking the trouble to ask..
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 08:37 PM

No trouble-that's what friends are for.
My cousin Bill thought it might be a sinus problem that the cold would aggravate. He wanted to see the dog in question till I told him the location & he then just said "Oh!". LOL
My cousin is an International Vet. that goes to 3rd world countries to help with animal issues.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

15-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Sorry about your Dog plantman ........... I hope you get some good news for him
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Sorry to hear about Zack, Plantman-hopefully the x-ray will show something that can be easily sorted....fingers crossed
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Plantman - Sorry to read about Zack, in case I've not mentioned it before Labradors are one of my favorite breeds and I still remember Ria from many years ago. We have Newfies now (Wifes choice!)

Anyway, noose bleeds can sometimes be serious, not always 'tho, there's a sad thread running on Dogsey about a Bernesse who is ill and had a nose bleed.

I hope it's not serious, and please keep us updated when you can.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

16-02-2011, 08:47 AM

Thank you all for your comments and good wishes. He seems very subdued this morning but the bleeding has stopped for now. I'll keep you informed when we have some more info.

Barry
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Hello Plantman, Very sorry to hear that your dog is having these unpleasant nose bleeds. I think it is wise to have an X-Ray and probably your Vet will take a blood sample too, to reveal if any infection is the cause, but this may have already been done.

Presumably Zack's teeth have been checked as anything wrong with them, could result in a nose bleed.

A build-up of Nasal Mites may also cause nose bleeds.

Have you noticed if Zack has watery eyes, a swollen face, coughing, or some degree of breathing issue?

It could be helpful to the Vet if you have noted how long the bleeding lasts?

Applying an ice pack to the bridge of the dog's nose for a few minutes may help constrict the blood vessels. Keeping him quiet and still is important, even for a period after the nose bleed.

Due to one side of the nose only, I think it is very wise to have that X-Ray. Please let us know how you get on with this.

Kindest Regards,
Rainbow x

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top