Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Re: What do you think -chauvinism or light hearted fun?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think that some very brainy people can have trouble understanding how to interact socially. When you consider how focused they are on what they do they don't realise how thoughtless they can seem. You can find some gifted people who appear very rude but, don't seem to be aware of it. I don't think I would be offended by what he said if I knew him well, especially at his age he's not likely to change. It's a bit sad that his knowledge and expertise will be not be passed on to the men or women of the future because of a thoughtless remark.
Well said.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think that some very brainy people can have trouble understanding how to interact socially. When you consider how focused they are on what they do they don't realise how thoughtless they can seem. You can find some gifted people who appear very rude but, don't seem to be aware of it. I don't think I would be offended by what he said if I knew him well, especially at his age he's not likely to change. It's a bit sad that his knowledge and expertise will be not be passed on to the men or women of the future because of a thoughtless remark.
I agree and unless it can be proved that he has treated women badly in his classes and employ then it really shouldn't be something he lost his job over.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 09:18 AM

His comment wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Don't know what all the fuss is about.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Political correctness has become something of a religion in some circles, and this is just another pathetic example of a fine mind being sacrificed on it's altar. Yes his remarks were poorly judged, but were light hearted in nature and without any malice.
I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
His comment wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Don't know what all the fuss is about.
Wouldn't have bothered me, either, Mups. I would have had a little laugh at his silliness.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I agree with you.

Wouldn't have bothered me, either, Mups. I would have had a little laugh at his silliness.
I do wonder if that's down to our ages, personally I saw outrageous sexism earlier in my life but what people are complaining about now just seems daft in comparison and something to laugh at it's so silly.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 12:33 PM

I think there is some truth in that, Julie. Too many eggshells these days, I think...
kim1961
Herefordshire
kim1961 is female  kim1961 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 01:24 PM

I posted on the Telegraph facebook page about this.

I'll see if i can find it and c and p it here.

"If his employer perceives this to be gross misconduct then he should be sacked as anyone of us would be.

If its a transgression in the workplace then warnings should start as for all of us.

He should have a right of appeal.

Imo it shouldn't be perceived as gross misconduct.

The man is obviously socially inept and an emotionally unintelligent prat. But harmless."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top