Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 03:51 PM

Re: Side effects of Statins

Originally Posted by paula ->
I took statins for years and had muscle pain, tried different statins, then after being on them for over 6 years, I had the most painful foot, which turned out to be planter fasciitis, Dr prescribed anti inflammatory tablets, and I had to have a bag of frozen peas under my foot every night...eventually the pain went away,but I stopped the statins .the statins raised my blood sugar too,which has gone back to normal since I stopped them. I did read somewhere that statins can cause P F.
Paula - it was you that mentioned PF in a post of mine regarding walking shoes/boots. It had never occurred to me that statins could cause that - so thanks for mentioning it.

I've just looked up my blood test results from 2019 and my Serum cholesterol is 5.06 mmo/L and my serum triglyceride is 1.71 - that's after years on statins and a healthy diet. I'm currently taking 40mg Simvastatin but the Crestor I was given in 2015 was 5mg. So I assume a lower dosage of Crestor is equal to x 8 Simvastatin.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Lindyloo my fellow members in a health support group
suggest it is advisable to take CoQ10 with statins to help prevent statin-induced myopathy though studies of its effectiveness have proved inconclusive.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/shou...uced-myopathy/

If you are older and can't covert CoQ10 in your body, Ubiquinol which is more expensive is recommended.

I am not a fan of supplements believing that a good diet should provided all that is needed. I have since changed my mind after developing a Vitamin D3 deficiency which severely affected my mobility and was redressed with a supplement prescribed by my doctor .

I have been taking Ubiquinol on the advice of a pharmacist support group friend for 4 weeks (not statin related) and don't want to temp fate but have had some amazing results.
Somtimes you just need to try things and see if it helps.

Meg, I do that, take Q10 as well.

Pleased you are getting good results.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Meg, I do that, take Q10 as well.

Pleased you are getting good results.
Hi Mups thank you. I hope it helps you too .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Some 12 years' ago now I was put on Atorvastatin statins after a heart attack, they were prescribed by the hospital and continued problem-free for some years. The GP apparently, had to obtain the OK from the area health authority on the basis of cost, to prescribe every four packs of Atorvastatin.

After some years I received a letter from the GP saying the statins were to be changed from Atorvastatin to Simvastatin. "This may be for reasons of economics or that continuing on the same medication they can become less effective", or similar wording.

Me being me I checked the cost of both online and found for a box of 28 Atorvastatin it cost £20.00 and Simvastatin around £1.70 (approximate costs from memory). Obviously the reason for changing was based on economics.

Reluctantly, I started on Simvastatin and within a day or so felt really unwell, Not muscular problems but internal pain and feeling very sick with terrible diarrhoea. I immediately stopped the Simvastatin, phoned my GP for an appointment asap. The GP said sometimes this did happen and as I was now OK, after stopping the Simvastatin, it must have been those. He offered me another statin, there are many, promising if they were problematic he would put me back on the Atorvastatin.

I decided never to go on statins again. Instead looked to diet and more exercise. Different food but not that much different, just cutting out that which causes high cholesterol. A half-hour daily walk after lunch was the exercise. My next blood test showed no problem with cholesterol levels and it was also noted I had lost weight. Three years' or so ago I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, I went on an NHS pre-diabetes course, learning so much about diet. Once again I modified my diet and maintained the exercise, beat that diagnosis and lost 10kg too. Correct diet and exercise works wonders. I have never again been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, having high cholesterol levels or being an unhealthy weight.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 06:43 PM

Hi

I am currently on Astorvostatin, which is one I can tolerate.

Others have caused problems.

I am on a cocktail of drugs and yes there are side effects but better than being dead.

They literally keep me alive.

I only have one coronary artery still working, so exercise and diet, whilst helpful, will not solve the problem.

The most annoying side effect is that I bruise and bleed so easily now.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 07:06 PM

I wish I could stop taking statins, but my cholesterol level has improved since being on them but continues to be high.

It's unlikely that I could walk more than I currently do - at least 3 x 5 mile walks per week and a further 3 miles on most of the other days. I've found that at time after walking, I am extremely tired and have also joined a pre-diabetes NHS course on zoom, but have since realised my latest blood test has not shown a pre-diabetic result.

Interestingly - over the last when I haven't been taking statins, I've lost 3 lbs, without much effort!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I wish I could stop taking statins, but my cholesterol level has improved since being on them but continues to be high.

It's unlikely that I could walk more than I currently do - at least 3 x 5 mile walks per week and a further 3 miles on most of the other days. I've found that at time after walking, I am extremely tired and have also joined a pre-diabetes NHS course on zoom, but have since realised my latest blood test has not shown a pre-diabetic result.

Interestingly - over the last when I haven't been taking statins, I've lost 3 lbs, without much effort!
If like me you have familial high cholesterol diet and exercise only has a minimal effect on your levels. That is if you were not overweight and on an unhealthy diet in the first place. Exercise is probably more important.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

Hi

A five mile walk is a thing of the past for me.

My heart is only working at 36% capacity and I have no discernable pulse in my left leg .

It stops working very quickly

I do not want an a stent in my groin, but that may be inevitable.

That leg is badly damaged and I cannot have an MRI Scan due to the amount of metal in me.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

28-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Exercise is probably more important.
Yes, but I try to set limits. I have moderate to severe arthritis which over a period of about 4 years did not progress (in the words of the orthopaedic surgeon), and that's the way I want to keep it as I really don't want to end up crippled and in agony for ages before I can get replacements hips & knees.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A five mile walk is a thing of the past for me.

My heart is only working at 36% capacity and I have no discernable pulse in my left leg .

It stops working very quickly

I do not want an a stent in my groin, but that may be inevitable.

That leg is badly damaged and I cannot have an MRI Scan due to the amount of metal in me.
Do you take statins, Swimmy?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top