Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:40 AM

Re: Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine approved for use next week in UK

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Just re storage Mups it won't be unsafe if the freezer fails just ineffective.

What makes you say that Annie?
Do you know for sure?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Scot I don't think that is the main problem , the vials hold almost a 1000 doses so individual doses are not easy to distribute to small numbers of patients like those in care homes and the vials can't yet be split.
Indeed ..... that is one of the logistics problems to be resolved ..... but, given that the NHS, and not the private sector, is handling immunisation, I expect the service's previous experience will prove highly effective in optimum distribution .....

The shambolic performance of "Incompetent" Harding's privately-run* testing operation will, I'm certain, not be repeated for immunisation.

* Who Is Actually Running NHS Test And Trace

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...h-6KctQlGfqjKT
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:55 AM

The Australian Government has described the emergency approval of a COVID-19 vaccine in Britain as an "important step for the world" but is standing firm on its timeline for vaccinations against coronavirus in Australia to start from March next year.

Interesting comment from the head of Australia's TGA:

Before the British Government announced the news regarding the approval of the Pfizer vaccine, head of the Therapeutic Goods Administration, John Skerritt, told ABC RN Breakfast the UK and US were operating on a very different timeline to the Australian Government because of the stark contrast in the coronavirus caseload.

"They're not approvals that those two countries are talking about, they're emergency use authorisations, and they're really reflecting the desperate situation of those countries," Adjunct Professor Skerritt said.

"We have to remember on many days, day after day the US is having more deaths than we've had in the whole year of the pandemic here in Australia, so it reflects the desperate situation of those countries and these authorisations require the delivery of the vaccine to be very tightly and closely monitored."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...ccine/12944440

(I posted this elsewhere but it is probably more approriate here)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What makes you say that Annie?
Do you know for sure?
Because it will then just be a non toxic liquid like a placebo. But if you are worried you don't have to have a vaccine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 10:41 AM

Hi Mups I will try to answer some of your questions based on the questions I have heard posed to the scientists.

Three of the things that bother me at the moment are -

1. The temperature needed for storage. How much leeway is there with this?
I know with food hygiene, fridge and freezer temperatures have to be checked regularly, but if someone's storage facilities are a degree or two out, even for a short time, will that render the vaccine unsafe?
There is some leeway, the vaccine can be stored a number of days in a fridge away from the main storage facility in a hospital freezer which is carefully monitored . To prevent the Pfizer vaccine being moved around too often the aim will be where possible to vaccinate large numbers of people in 'hubs' close to the main hospital cold storage facilities.
So with places like small nursing homes it may be that the staff will be vaccinated first in their local hub . Ways of splitting the vaccine into smaller amounts are also being looked at but that means another movement out of cold storage so not the best option.
The Oxford vaccine should be available soon and that can be distributed in smaller amounts without the need for cold storage and can be taken to the patient by a GP or medical staff.
As Annie says if the vaccine is not stored correctly it doesn't become unsafe but it won't work.

2. Regarding temperature again - is this very cold temperature likely to be more difficult to maintain in surgeries when this winter has passed and the summer heatwaves return?
We have only purchased enough of the Pfizer vaccine to vaccinate 20 million people, that will all be used up by the spring. The other vaccines like the Oxford that are following on don't need such strict temperature control. Pfizer are also working on a second generation that are not so temperature sensitive.

2. They admit they don't yet know how long this vaccine gives protection for, yet I heard someone on the radio today talking about re-vaccinating every winter.
Call me sceptical if you like, but his sounded more about possible recouping expenditure than a necessity.
Over-vaccination exists. They over-vaccinated domestic pets for many years after all.
I have heard no mention of titre testing to test whether people are still protected before considering re-vaccination.
We don't have to have Polio jabs, or Tetanus jabs every year, do we!
We can't possibly know how long the vaccine will give protection with a new virus and vaccination and will find out in due course by monitoring antibody levels in people long after the vaccinations have taken place. That will tell us if further vaccination is necessary.
Over vaccination is highly unlikely, the NHS are going to have to purchase the vaccines once first mass vaccination has taken place and won't want to spend money unnecessarily.
It may be that we do need the vaccine every year or maybe just the vulnerable groups. I don't have a problem with that and it was suggested that if that is the case it might eventually be combined with the flu vaccination.

3. Can a human body take a flu shots, covid shots, shingles shots, pneumonia shots - plus those considered necessary for holidaying abroad and so on? This worries me.
The human body 'meets' and copes with a wide variety of illnesses and makes antibodies to some, having a vaccine is like 'meeting' an illness and forming antibodies.

4. I have heard talk of not being allowed in certain places unless we provide proof we have been vaccinated . . e.g. pubs. But how far will this go?
Could people lose their employment if they don't want the vaccine, or be refused jobs, or refused health insurance, or refused to board planes . . . . . the list could easily become much more extensive.
So we will be forced into vaccination whether we want it or not.
No one will be forced to have the vaccine, your body your choice.
It may be that as is the case now with other disease that you have to be vaccinated before entering a county.
Dogs have to have up to date vaccination before they can board in a kennel and when we stay in holiday cottages with the dogs they have to have been be vaccinated so there are existing restrictions it won't be a first.

Hopefully once mass vaccination has taken place and the virus is well under control it will be easer to sort out what is and isn't required for insurance etc .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They said on tonight's news that the most of us will not be offered this for several months yet, maybe next summer even.
That might help the worriers ( like myself) see how others get on first.

Three of the things that bother me at the moment are -

1. The temperature needed for storage. How much leeway is there with this?
I know with food hygiene, fridge and freezer temperatures have to be checked regularly, but if someone's storage facilities are a degree or two out, even for a short time, will that render the vaccine unsafe?

2. Regarding temperature again - is this very cold temperature likely to be more difficult to maintain in surgeries when this winter has passed and the summer heatwaves return?

2. They admit they don't yet know how long this vaccine gives protection for, yet I heard someone on the radio today talking about re-vaccinating every winter.
Call me sceptical if you like, but his sounded more about possible recouping expenditure than a necessity.
Over-vaccination exists. They over-vaccinated domestic pets for many years after all.
I have heard no mention of titre testing to test whether people are still protected before considering re-vaccination.
We don't have to have Polio jabs, or Tetanus jabs every year, do we!

3. Can a human body take a flu shots, covid shots, shingles shots, pneumonia shots - plus those considered necessary for holidaying abroad and so on? This worries me.

4. I have heard talk of not being allowed in certain places unless we provide proof we have been vaccinated . . e.g. pubs. But how far will this go?
Could people lose their employment if they don't want the vaccine, or be refused jobs, or refused health insurance, or refused to board planes . . . . . the list could easily become much more extensive.
So we will be forced into vaccination whether we want it or not.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds.
I understand your worries.

They don't know much yet, its going to be a lot of trial and error but I suppose it has to be before we can know anything for sure.

Someone told me yesterday people with auto immune conditions shouldn't take it as the immune system is too weak. I have auto immune condition, i havent seen anything in black and white though just what a friend said she heard. . Im further up the line so won't be offered the jab for a good while anyway had I not had an aito immune disease. My husband us diabetic which is another auto immune , i havent heardcanything said about diabetics so perhaps he won't be offered it either.

So many questions. A i know for absolute certain is that pharma is in for a LOT of money .

I'm goingbto watch this develop with real interest.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:43 PM

My understanding is that the only group to not be offered the shot will be the under 18s. Everyone else will but in order of the most vulnerable / high risk first. It's being offered to all over 18s, it will just take time to work through the millions.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Thanks for your reply Meg and doing your best to allay my fears.

When you say . . " No one will be forced to have the vaccine, your body your choice. " I didn't mean they are going to sit on me and force a needle into me (), but there are more subtle ways of forcing us, is what I meant.
Like we could be banned from places we like, so that is what I call a subtle way of forcing us.

We'll see. I am not saying I refuse to have it, but I just want to be properly informed and to have my mind at rest before I come to a decision.
I certainly would not rush to be first in the queue without getting my head round any doubts first.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 01:58 AM

First batch of vaccines arrives in the UK - here the order but no dates) of immunisation:

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-12-2020, 02:03 AM

The relevant word being "first"

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top