Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:18 PM

The Kettle Minefield..

My Prestige kettle started leaking this week and wouldn’t switch off via the automatic switch.
I thought it might be to do with limescale as it has done this before and after removing the little bit of limescale, it was ok.
This time l used the ‘vinegar treatment’ but alas it seemed worse.

I looked online and saw the Prestige kettle l would like but that would take a few days to come. Instead, l looked for reviews on kettles. Their recommendations for kettles varied from a cheapy Russell Hobbs to a £100plus Kitchenaid, Cuisinart or Dualit.
I went to Asda and saw their own brand George Home glass kettle for £10 reduced from around £30.
I looked for reviews on my mobile phone and it had great reviews, so l bought it! I have tried it, it’s wonderful but a little bit heavy if you fill it to the maximum. It does one cup though and it’s fast.
Also the water doesn’t have that awful taste that some kettles give.

I also bought a Russell Hobbs Mode, model 21444 from Robertdyas as it had great reviews. I wish, l had read the reviews more fully as lots of people say the water ‘tastes’ even after lots of boilings. I will be taking it back for a refund!
I also didn’t realise, that it is made of plastic!

Today, l have ordered a Prestige kettle online from TKMaxx as they are at a good price of £24.99. I will keep this or the Asda glass one as a spare.

What kettle do you have. Was it a cheapy or an expensive top of the range one? Maybe bought for its trendy look or to go with your kitchen?
Are the expensive kettles worth it?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 02:42 PM

Re: The Kettle Minefield..

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My Prestige kettle started leaking this week and wouldn’t switch off via the automatic switch.
I thought it might be to do with limescale as it has done this before and after removing the little bit of limescale, it was ok.
This time l used the ‘vinegar treatment’ but alas it seemed worse.

I looked online and saw the Prestige kettle l would like but that would take a few days to come. Instead, l looked for reviews on kettles. Their recommendations for kettles varied from a cheapy Russell Hobbs to a £100plus Kitchenaid, Cuisinart or Dualit.
I went to Asda and saw their own brand George Home glass kettle for £10 reduced from around £30.
I looked for reviews on my mobile phone and it had great reviews, so l bought it! I have tried it, it’s wonderful but a little bit heavy if you fill it to the maximum. It does one cup though and it’s fast.
Also the water doesn’t have that awful taste that some kettles give.

I also bought a Russell Hobbs Mode, model 21444 from Robertdyas as it had great reviews. I wish, l had read the reviews more fully as lots of people say the water ‘tastes’ even after lots of boilings. I will be taking it back for a refund!
I also didn’t realise, that it is made of plastic!

Today, l have ordered a Prestige kettle online from TKMaxx as they are at a good price of £24.99. I will keep this or the Asda glass one as a spare.

What kettle do you have. Was it a cheapy or an expensive top of the range one? Maybe bought for its trendy look or to go with your kitchen?
Are the expensive kettles worth it?
You're our kettle expert .....

I usually buy Russell Hobbs Brushed Stainless Steel at around £30 .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 02:59 PM

I have a Braun

Year ago my kettle broke, I had to wait a week for a new one to be delivered and in the meantime I had the hassle of heating water in a saucepan on the stove. When I was out one day I bought a £8 basic kettle to keep as a spare .
My kettle broke and I pulled out the cheap spare to use, I got used to it and didn't get round to buying a 'good one' for many years . I certainly got my moneys worth from the cheap one .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 03:12 PM

We found that some kettles can add a taste to the water for quite a long time. We even gave up on a new one because of that. The kettle we found OK is a Russell-Hobbs metal jug kettle.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 03:24 PM

I would never use a plastic kettle - always stainless steel - I have one electric and one for the gas hob. Never thought about glass ones - would the glass not eventually go cloudy?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 03:30 PM

I have one of those where there is a heater tank, under the sink, and you hold the cup, plate, jug, whatever, unter the tap and turn it on.

It's genuine boiling tap water - on demand.

Perfect.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We found that some kettles can add a taste to the water for quite a long time. We even gave up on a new one because of that. The kettle we found OK is a Russell-Hobbs metal jug kettle.
I have one of those.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would never use a plastic kettle - always stainless steel - I have one electric and one for the gas hob. Never thought about glass ones - would the glass not eventually go cloudy?
ST, The instructions with it advise you to de-scale it regularly to avoid discolouration.
It lights up blue when you boil the water in it. I know.... little things, please little minds!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
You're our kettle expert .....

I usually buy Russell Hobbs Brushed Stainless Steel at around £30 .....
I look into everything when l go to buy anything but the choice of kettles is a minefield.
As long as they don’t have that horrid metallic or plastic taste, l don’t mind.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:05 PM

When we lived in a hard water area we bought a Brita filter jug and used water from that to boil in a kettle. No need to descale the kettle after using the filtered water.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top