Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:52 PM

Re: The Kettle Minefield..

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
ST, The instructions with it advise you to de-scale it regularly to avoid discolouration.
It lights up blue when you boil the water in it. I know.... little things, please little minds!
Sounds rather pretty!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds rather pretty!

Have a look at these Tabby, there's all sorts of colours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Th.../dp/B010SSED24
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 06:34 PM

Voche do a nice Black Dual LED (Blue - Plugged in / Red - Switched on) Colour Illumination Cordless Jug Kettle made in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene* :

* Whatever that is .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Voche do a nice Black Dual LED (Blue - Plugged in / Red - Switched on) Colour Illumination Cordless Jug Kettle made in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene* :

* Whatever that is .....
Plastic.

Artangel is right, buying a kettle is a minefield.
It has to "go" with the prevailing colour scheme in the kitchen and as others have said, it must not taint whatever drink you make with the boiled water.
Plus it must look good, so I am reliably informed.

Even with regular descaling they don't last long in our house - though that might change now that we have two (yes I know) pod type machines.

We've had Dualit (I agree with Longdogs - they look nice but aren't very good, unlike their toasters) and at the opposite end of the price range a Wilko stainless steel which lasted less than two years too, the same as all the others.

A certain person other than myself was tempted by a Bugatti kettle but I swerved that and our current one is a Breville New York, which was still on the pricey side but not the near £200 of the Bugatti.
I must confess that I do like the looks of the Bugatti but reviews aren't very positive.
The Bugatti:
https://www.casabugatti.com/design-a...1?id=14-SVERAN

The Breville might cost a lot for a kettle but it works, it looks good, and it fulfils the exacting brief of SWMBO.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 08:08 PM

FWIW............

Dualit Architect Kettle
My Dear Wife got it as a leaving present probably about ten years ago. I think it was a bit expensive but it has lasted.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 02:15 AM

Bought one of these from dunelm for £25 about a month ago. Seems pretty solid and works fine so far. The only downside is trying to fill it with a filter water jug. Great if you use a tap. Also the lid is tricky to remove. I'm pretty fed up with kettle shopping so hope this one lasts. These ones seem very popular and just looking now they are all sold out other than in red.

Electric kettles all seem to be pretty rubbish if you have heavy use. I've been wondering whether it's more cost effective to use a hob top old fashioned whistling model.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I use one of those `One Cup` machines. Put a beaker under the spout, press a button, and within twenty seconds it deposits the correct amount of hot water into the beaker. Saves waste and electricity.
Judd, I have seen those in my quest to buy a kettle but wondered if they were a bit restricting if you need a larger quantity of water?
Maybe you have a ‘normal’ kettle as well?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I've had a couple of plastic kettles, but they do leak eventually

when I moved house about 9 years ago I got a stainless steel Goodmans for about £20 I think, and it's worked perfectly ever since
I see that the same model is listed on B&M Bargains website for £18, but I've seen them higher priced, so shop around

At a quick look, the Goodmans & Cookworks look to be the same

if I was buying again I'd get the same, or something in the £20 to £30 range, there are quite a few to choose from
zuludog, Your kettle has lasted well. I have heard of Cookworks but not Goodmans kettles. Did they used to make televisions?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-12-2020, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Most certainly not worth it!! Our kettle is one from Wilco and cost a fiver. Since buying it about 2yrs ago we have bought 2 more and they were still a fiver ..why pay more?
An electric kettle is a lidded + spouted container with a heating element fitted with a steam detector and of course a boil-dry cut out; so to me anything over a fiver is a waste of money.
Longdriver, That was a great price but did the water taste ‘tainted’? I did look in Wilko and noticed they only had their own brand as did Morrison’s.
Robert Dyas had a large range of brands.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Percy, That sounds a really good idea but l think l might find it a bit of a palaver?
Not at all. Fill the filter jug once and that will make three brews of two cups.
The filters are dirt cheap if you buy a supermarkets own brand and the tea produced has no taint whatsoever.

I would thoroughly recommend.

Edited to say I haven't had to descale my kettle in twelve years.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top