Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 02:31 PM

What on Earth?!!

This, from Andy Jehring of the Sun Newspaper today.

A ‘’SHY’’ teenager is facing jail after being convicted of a sex crime for touching a girl’s arm.

Awkward Jamie Grififths, 19, googled ‘’how to make a friend’’ before trying to chat to her, a court was told.

It happened as the 17-year old walked home along a railway bridge in Knutsford, Cheshire, where they went to separate schools, magistrates were told.

The girl, who cannot be named, said she ‘’very quickly walked away’’ when he ‘’touched me on my arm’’, JPs heard.
She ‘’didn’t think much of it’’ until a few weeks later when, as she walked past him, ‘’he looked me in the eyes’’, the court heard.

The girl said Griffiths touched her waist for ‘’three to five seconds’’’ then ‘’smirked’’ before walking off. She broke down in tears after the ‘’traumatic’; experience and police were alerted.

Griffiths, now a student at Durham University, told JPs he had no sinister motive.

He said he was ‘’anxious’’ and wanted to ‘’make a friend’’ but ‘’the words didn’t come out right’’. He said: ‘’I’d hate to make someone feel uncomfortable or scared. Maybe it’s time to make friends another way’’

Griffiths was convicted of two sexual assaults. Manchester JPs told him: ‘’We can think of no motivation for you to touch the victim other than sexual’’.
He faces up to ten years in custody and could be made to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register when sentenced later this month.

UNQUOTE

Okay, I can understand it must have been upsetting for this young lady, but come on! how mature is she? and how come this girl is not named, yet this young immature boy is named, shamed, and future career destroyed? Okay, I am not saying what he did was right, but come on, a sexual predator? Sounds more to me that he was a shy, inexperienced young boy who didn’t know that by touching a girl on the arm or in the second instance, her waist, was wrong.

My opinion could be wrong, but I think the JPs have gone way over the top! What say you?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Re: What on Earth?!!

I'm afraid, and it's been going on for a few years now we have to teach boys not to touch not even a hand without permission. I drummed it into mine never touch without asking first. It's a different world out there to when we were young.

I don't deny some girls and women should have been better protected but the way they have gone about making boys the villians is not right IMO

They have lessons at school about consent but something I think is missing from them because it appears girls have all the power and can hit boys but should a boy retaliate that's wrong. Instead of teaching girls to be strong it's making boys afraid to shake hands with them.

As for the case in question I really hope I never meet anyone like that judge if only reason he can see to touch anyone is sexual.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:10 PM

That is ridiculous, PC gone nuts. When I was young, boys were often touching girls hands, arms, even waists in a friendly way. No girl would have bothered to do anything about it. I am so glad I had my time when I did.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Oh fgs
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:36 PM

She said "............"I thought he MIGHT"....." have tried touching my breast next" !

But he didn't,he touched her arm and waist!

Thought,is one thing,doing is another!

PC gone OTT!

Sex offenders register?

Up to 10 years in jail?

Even paedophiles and murderers don't get that much! Even eco terrorists get a slap on the wrist!

A shy,socially awkward teenager,treated as a pervert,crazy World we live in !

God help the next generation!

Can't touch,can't use the wrong English humour or language,can't say or do anything in case someone takes offence!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Well, it is the Sun so it must absolutely, incontrovertibly and totally factual........
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Dad's won't be able to cuddle their daughters soon, or mothers kiss their sons. To think that children might get into bed with mum and dad on a Sunday morning for a bit of family chat.... well, if frightens me how far these things will go.

Maybe she was upset, and maybe he was out of order, but his advance was not necessarily sexual, how can that be assumed ?

I suppose they could have got him on the other angle of assault.
Be warned; in case any don't know. Don't offer to help anyone on or off a bus for example, unless they ask because you can be done for assault and make sure someone else hears them ask .
Don't put your arm around someone who is upset... it could be classed as assault .
In fact don't touch anyone, anywhere... it could be assault .

World' s going insane.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 03:55 PM

The whole thing is getting ridiculous. It,s getting to the stage now when a man will be charged with a 'sexual' offence if he offers to shake hands with a member of the opposite sex.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 04:34 PM

How ridiculous, what is this world coming to!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Phew! thank goodness. I thought about putting my tin helmet on before posting this thread. I was so annoyed about it.

It makes me think of when I was a teenager. Boys (some I didn't even know) would sneak up behind me in the street, grab me around the waist and hug me tightly, especially on a Friday or Saturday night, even asking what did I want for breakfast? that's just the way it was when I was young.

THAT was sexual innuendo! but it never scared me, a quick kick in the goolies if they had tried to get too fresh would have sufficed!

On a more serious note though, it certainly seems the world has changed, not for the better it seems. I keep thinking surely a community order or a warning would have been sufficient in that poor boy's case. What career has he got now he is in University. Who is going to employ him with a record as a sex pervert???? It's dreadful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top