Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine approved for use next week in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine, paving the way for mass vaccination.

Britain's medicines regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe to be rolled out. The first 800,000 doses will be available in the UK from next week, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said. People should wait to be contacted by the NHS, he added.

Elderly people, those in care homes and some NHS staff will be prioritised first - although more details on the priority list is due later.

Additionally, the order in which people will get the jabcould also depend on how easily the jab can be rolled out. The Pfizer jab needs to be stored at -70C, which is easier to be stored in hospitals rather than in the community, Mr Hancock.

The vaccine is given as two injections, 21 days apart, with the second dose being a booster. It takes a few weeks for immunity to build.

The UK has already ordered 40 million doses of the free jab - enough to vaccinate 20 million people. The doses will be rolled out as quickly as the company in Belgium can make it, Mr Hancock said, with the first load next week and then "several millions" throughout December but the bulk of the rollout will be next year.

Around 50 hospitals are on stand-by and vaccination centres - in venues such as conference centres or sports stadiums - are being set up now.

But experts said people still need to remain vigilant and follow rules to stop the virus spreading - including with social distancing, face masks and self-isolation.
Encouraging news .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:30 AM

Re: Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine approved for use next week in UK

Great news I think some of us here will be offered the Pfizer vaccine.
There is enough for 20 million people to get the full dose (2 doses)
I think healthcare workers make up about 3 million and over 60s 12 million so many of us should be eligible for this vaccine.
My maths isn't great so someone correct me if I am wrong

I noticed when I went to my local GP surgery that from the stock being stored in the huge empty waiting room preparations for mass vaccination seemed to be underway.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Here's the proposed rollout priority list:

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think healthcare workers make up about 3 million and over 60s 12 million so many of us should be eligible for this vaccine.
My maths isn't great so someone correct me if I am wrong
Spot on:

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...force-overview

The NHS employs 1.4 million people and social care 1.6 million people.

Close:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lation-by-age/

If my maths is correct, then there are 16.15 million people over 60 in the UK .....
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:15 PM

Nicola Sturgeon says the first Pfizer vaccinations will start in Scotland next week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55156783
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:41 PM

I'm still in two minds about it, should I, shouldn't I. I can't come to terms with Is it safe....Or not.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-12-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I'm still in two minds about it, should I, shouldn't I. I can't come to terms with Is it safe....Or not.
Depending on your circumstances, you will probably have weeks, maybe months to wait to qualify - in the meantime, other vaccines will be rolled out and mass testing will be introduced …..
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I will be 83 on Saturday and I think I will go for it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Good news indeed, the sooner the better if it helps the country get back to normal.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:22 PM

it will be interesting to see what happens next week!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:32 PM

I think the drawback with this vaccine is that it has to be stored at sub zero temperatures, so I doubt we'll be given it at the local surgery...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top