Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:54 PM

Find out if you're at risk of Type 2 diabetes

I am hoping this thread is not out of order in any way and our Mods. will either allow it or let me know how it can be modified so as not to infringe any Rules.

Some while ago I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, which some of you will know. Eventually I beat this diagnosis by going on a NHS pre-diabetic programme. Following a regular blood test my reading on the scale used was 46, just one or two down from the top when it's diabetic and not pre-diabetic. By going on the course that reading was eventually reduced to 38 also with a weight loss of 10kgs so I reckon well worth going on the course.

That programme was at the time only through referral by a GP. Now though this can be done via self-referral after completing certain requirements. The wording of an e-mail I received today is posted below for anyone who may be interested:

To find out your risk of type 2 diabetes complete the Know your risk tool here:

https://preventing-diabetes.co.uk/know-your-risk-dtc/

If you score 16 or over, you can self-refer onto the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:42 PM

Re: Find out if you're at risk of Type 2 diabetes

I know I'm at risk Baz because my dad died of type 2, my brother has it, my mum is borderline. The funny thing is my dad wasn't even overweight. There are different types. He was athletic and lost weight after getting ill. Lockdown will create an epidemic in future years and I am worried about my own risk for that reason. it's easier to comfort eat and be less active. I've gone from normal weight to a tiny bit overweight for my height. I only need to lose 4 lbs and it's happened in the last few days! I blame the scales
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I know I'm at risk Baz because my dad died of type 2, my brother has it, my mum is borderline. The funny thing is my dad wasn't even overweight. There are different types. He was athletic and lost weight after getting ill. Lockdown will create an epidemic in future years and I am worried about my own risk for that reason. it's easier to comfort eat and be less active. I've gone from normal weight to a tiny bit overweight for my height. I only need to lose 4 lbs and it's happened in the last few days! I blame the scales
Genetic diabetes is different, however, if it's as mine was and not genetic, it can be reversed by modifications to diet and more exercise. That was proved by what I achieved and what was basically learning about food, which I didn't know as I had never been taught. I was just eating the wrong type of food and had been doing so for decades.

The exercise part was no more than a half-hour walk every day after lunch. Both were responsible for losing weight which had another positive effect in that a long-standing knee problem (a motorcycle accident 50 years' ago) almost disappeared, due to not having so much weight to support.

If you don't know much about how Type 2 diabetes can develop if not familial, then it might be well-worth just checking out that website. You might find out a lot that would benefit you, even though diabetes runs in your family. Of course there is also the chance that it's not genetic for you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain is how I would see it. I know that diagnosis of pre-diabetes scared the life out of me. Going on that course changed all that and I've never looked back.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 07:38 AM

I have also done the course that Baz mentioned - and it is excellent. In my case a daily walk, a reduction in portion size and eating crisps once per week instead of every day was all that was needed to restore my blood sugars and lose some weight.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 05:19 PM

ST I admire your self control well done on getting things under control. I've been inhaling crisps like fresh air recently and I've just had four hob nobs in a row. I did worry about my blood sugar in the past and so far it's always been normal, but the Covid restrictions are not good for anyone's waistline. I guess the 50s are a dangerous time for developing chronic conditions. Life slows down and it becomes easier to sink in a couch with a cuppa than to exercise.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top