Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Relentless journalism

We're all well acquainted with reporters analysing matters to the nth degree, interviewing each other, interviewing pundits, citing polls a plenty, and trying to second guess the actual outcome of the GE.

Why bother? How much (if indeed any) of this 24/7 wittering has any effect whatsoever on the actual outcome? Does it affect the way that anyone votes, and if it does, then should it?

All that needs to be reported is the claims/promises/policies of parties and candidates, and NOT "if there is a 1.8% swing to the left in the vote in Tobermory, then there is a 17.3128% chance of there being a Tory majority in East Anglia".

Extrapolation is a dangerous thing!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Re: Relentless journalism

It's not just in politics either, sport is another subject that is discussed relentlessly before the actual result. Why not just wait, then discuss what actually happened.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Yes, it does seem completely pointless. There is clearly a wide spread belief that the general public has an insatiable desire to consume such analysis. I am not sure that this belief is justified.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Our newsagent has a lot less papers for sale, two reasons the supermarket has taken most of the Sunday sales and more read the news online. Hyperbolic claims that nobody takes any notice of and overpriced.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:42 PM

Now we've got twenty four hour rolling news from industries almost bigger than the NHS, if there isn't any news they have to make some up to keep them busy.......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's not just in politics either, sport is another subject that is discussed relentlessly before the actual result. Why not just wait, then discuss what actually happened.

Totally agree, dongle.
They discuss it before, during, and for a week afterwards too!
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree wholeheartedly but politics is something I have no interest in at all and avoid it whenever possible.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:31 PM

I think the standard of much of journalism is appalling, one example a journalist will ask a leading question in a number of ways and push till they get a response .
Then later reporting will make it seem the person being interviewed volunteer the information (which has the journalists spin on it) and it might actually become the lead in news bulletins.

Some journalists are manufacturing news rather than just reporting it and this can be misleading and dangerous giving a false perception to the public.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Thank you for your replies so far.

One thing that is of concern is the possible impact that their mental perambulations (never thought I'd ever be able to get that into a sentence) affects naive waving voters

In the ideal world, they would simply report and not analyse potential hypotheticals beyond their pay grade. To do so is to to enter the political fray themselves rather than just observe it.

For me, polls should not be carried out at all for any kind of public perusal, yet alone analysed. They obfuscate (I'm in a "big word" mood today) the argument since they attach importance to an irrelevance.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Most of it is just a load of pointless froth, created to give journalists and news broadcasters something to do in between reporting real news.

They even have night time “news programmes” which consist of nothing more than telling you what is in tomorrow’s newspapers.
Then, of course, they sometimes end by telling you other items from “tomorrow’s news” - do they have a crystal ball?
One of the things I’ve noticed in recent years is how often broadcasters tell you the Prime Minister or some other Minister is due to make an important speech tomorrow, then they proceed to tell you what the PM is going say in that speech ... rather defeats the object of making the speech if the contents have already been broadcast ... why not wait until the speech has made, then report it as news after it has happened?

Most of it is just a load of padding that the news media make a living from.

Do you remember the days when news wasn’t reported until it had already happened and, if there was no news, they didn’t make some up?

Oh for the days when the BBC News once announced
“There is no news” and played a piece of music to take up the 15 minute evening news slot programme time.

(Not that I was alive when that happened, of course!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top