Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:56 AM

reading glasses (spectacles)

Today one of those annoying things happened, the tiny screw holding the arm to the glass rim broke.

Ok not a terrible disaster as I have another pair for reading.
I also have a pair for distance work and driving

So as it is about time (2 years since last) for another eye test with the optician. I have booked an appointment for thursday 23 Aug.

The strange thing is I can now read better on the computer screen with a very old pair of specs than the ones that need repair bought afterwards

So as the broken pair are scratched anyway I will as for new glass to be fitted to the broken pair.

All I can deduce that since my eye op. the vision has gone back to what it was originally, so will be interesting to see what the optician has to say

For those who don't know I had a "Stent" inserted behind one eye to remove the pressure. The other eye just needs drops in daily x3 to keep the pressure down due to glaucoma.

Last time at the hospital the eye pressure in each was normal at a pressure of 12 now they have had a chance to settle down pressure wise.

All I can think is one lot of specs I purchased was around the op time or just after before the pressure settled down.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 07:31 AM

Re: reading glasses (spectacles)

Why have lenses fitted to a damaged frame? Better a new frame with a guarantee.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:20 AM

You should have your Eyes tested once a year.

But if your eyes are getting better, why not try the magnifying ones that you can buy in the shops, I have a pair for £10 which are great they come in all different strengths.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Eyes should always be tested once a year, if you wear spectacles. I have distance and reading specs, I don't get on with varifocals. I always buy several pairs of each so I have spares should I break them. My husband likes varifocals and separate reading glasses as does our eldest girl. I don't quite understand why, but that is up to them. We give Specsavers in the local town our custom, as it a particularly good one, which not all Specsavers are.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:54 AM

Sight tests should be done every 2 years.
Unless health or age require more frequent tests.
Of course if you want to pay for a test you can have one every week.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:14 AM

I only wear glasses for watching the telly and driving. I have 2 pairs, one in the house and the other I keep in my car.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Why have lenses fitted to a damaged frame? Better a new frame with a guarantee.
Because the frames are the most expensive part not the glass.
Our optician says the tests should be done twice a year under the national health not annually.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Because the frames are the most expensive part not the glass.
Our optician says the tests should be done twice a year under the national health not annually.
That is a bit OTT, imo.
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

22-08-2018, 10:48 AM

I think it may be twice a year because of his history of glaucoma.

Here it is every two years.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan2 ->
I think it may be twice a year because of his history of glaucoma.

Here it is every two years.
Yes you are right and that is for the hospital eye test which is every 6 months , but they do not involve getting glasses ,only eye condition
it is the opticians that say every 2 years for seeing if one needs new glasses or not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top