Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Re: Swearing ....

Originally Posted by sugarbug ->
My mother would say swearing is a lack of vocabulary ...
When she passed away.. I was 33 years old .. for some reason ...
I constantly swore ..As soon as I realized .. I was swearing for no reason I stopped .. I think I was rebelling because she died ..The mind does funny things ..
I think your Mum was right - lack of vocabulary, fits the bill ...
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 06:56 PM

I was about 7 years old & I called my mother a 'bloody' & she chased me up the road with a dustpan & brush ( she had been sweeping the stairs down at the time) I have never run so fast in all my life !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by jennym ->
I was about 7 years old & I called my mother a 'bloody' & she chased me up the road with a dustpan & brush ( she had been sweeping the stairs down at the time) I have never run so fast in all my life !
Ah - those were the days. when Mothers were 'Mothers'
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
- lack of vocabulary, fits the bill ...
I completely agree. Swearing is vulgar and unpleasant enough when you hear men doing it - it is infinitely worse when women do it. I do not swear and I will not converse with those who do.

A known crosspatch Senior Consultant once used the F word at me in a crowded ward - I walked away after telling him I would only continue the conversation when he regained his temper and his manners - the patients all applauded! He never swore at me again.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 07:41 PM

My mother didnt swear as such, her usual cuss words were JC & God.
My dad never swore & neither have I.

No, I correct that. An older boy was intimidating me at school & while I was waiting to be kicked I suddenly found the nerve to shout at him "You bastard"

The poor chap burst into tears. I didnt know he WAS one.

Not a nice event at the time, today it doesnt matter
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I try not to BE around children..

Lol
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I think your Mum was right - lack of vocabulary, fits the bill ...
For some I would agree, it is simply to fill up a sentence as they have precious little other words to use, but for myself it is not the case.

I have a very large vocabulary and often receive blank stares from people because of the words I use, but I also swear a lot too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 10:36 PM

I swear constantly, under my breath, and have always done so, don't make me good or bad, never got a swipe for it, cos no one heard.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Swearing is interesting to me, in that it has so many uses: I swear with my macho mates and really feel part of the scene; I swear to emphasise a point very forcefully when in company that doesn't really appreciate swearing; I swear on the internet as fun more often that not. I am also very aware of the times I do swear and whether or not I have used it properly and in the right context. Very versatile is the f word if you ask me.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 12:35 AM

I have never used the f... word, ever in my life and, despite working with about 30 men, they have never used it in front of me.

My husband was in the Army, and never once was that word used in front of me, which in my humble opinion, showed respect for me. There have been slip-ups, for which they've apologised profusely.

For myself, I use only mild swear words in front of others which are, on the whole, socially acceptable, such as bloody and I never swore in front of mum and dad.

There are so many other acceptable words in the English vocabulary which can be used instead of the more vulgar or offensive expressions, and folk that use the f... word with frequency to me is sadly lacking in the use of our language and quite honestly I wouldn't engage in a conversation with anyone who used it, not even in anger, but I guess we're all different.

Put it this way, I'd never use a swear word that I couldn't have said in front of my parents.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top