Join for free
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 02:44 PM

My daughter would be better off on the dole!

My daughter is , at the end of her 3 years at Chester university and wants to do a master's extra year. Yet there is no finance support arrangement to cover this. If she was on the dole -and have a few children the government would throw your money at her - no problem. Go figure!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Re: My daughter would be better off on the dole!

It's time that she got a job and studied further in her spare time if that's what she wants to do. We can't finance kids forever, unless you want to of course, which doesn't seem to be the case. If you won't finance her then why should the taxpayer?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Sadly, there just isn't enough money to go around anymore.

And I'm feeling the pinch as much as anyone thesedays but I have to say ... I'd rather my taxpayers money be spent on helping a young un improve themselves, as long as they genuinely put their back into their studies, as opposed to all these benefit cheats, foreign immigrants and no hopers who just scrounge.

How old is your daughter Terence, if you don't mind me asking?
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's time that she got a job and studied further in her spare time if that's what she wants to do. We can't finance kids forever, unless you want to of course, which doesn't seem to be the case. If you won't finance her then why should the taxpayer?
That's a bit harsh, I think he was pointing out the irony of the situation. I doubt for one minute he was suggesting that his daughter go out and get herself pregnant to live on welfare.

I'm sure he was referring to the lack of government student loan provision for the masters year, which doesn't cost the taxpayer.
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Beth is doing exactly that, however work will impact on the mount of studying she will be able to do. you, me and other taypayers have funded her first 3 years. this will enable her to get a good job at Sainsburys if she is lucky. however a forth year will enable her to qualify for teaching or better work. So Mr Plantman what would you like your tax pounds spent on another shelf filler or a Teacher. or she could of course forget the forth year of education get pregnant and get you to fund her say hypothetical 4 children at your expence, plus of course her husband to be, who would find it financial suicide to get a job to raise said children.
Ho! Yes. Sorry Morticia, Beth is 22 and absolutly passionate about english and poetry. and thanks for all comments.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Terencefw.GC1 ->
My daughter is , at the end of her 3 years at Chester university and wants to do a master's extra year. Yet there is no finance support arrangement to cover this. If she was on the dole -and have a few children the government would throw your money at her - no problem. Go figure!
My son was in the first batch of students not to receive a grant only a student loan. He got a part time job and I got three and between us we paid his way through University (I am a widow).

I think we all have to come to terms with the fact the pot is empty, the contents frittered away on pointless wars and paying for the debts of the feckless.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 04:33 PM

I think that after A-level education a 3 year degree is quite a lot to fund for all concerned, (parents and taxpayers). I believe everyone acaedemically able should have the opportunity to access a degree, but I agree that it is another matter to be able to afford to spend 3 years without an income doing it. If funding (by which I mean a grant) is found for students to do their Masters wouldn't it inevitably reduce the number of 3 year basic degree students, simply because there is not enough money in the pot to fund all the further education people want. What is available has to be shared out.
Many people would say it is beneficial to work towards a Masters whilst actually in employment. Takes a lot more time, I know, but at the end of the day I think it makes for a more rounded and useful person to employers. Many employers will support their employees who are studying for a Masters that will specifically benefit their organisation.
Both my children have degrees and were not eligible for any grants at all because they/we did not qualify, although my daughter did get a small bursary as her degree was nursing degree. They both did part-time work through their degrees and both my daughter and my son went on to study for their Masters, once in work. My son paid for his himself and my daughter was supported by her employer. It took my daughter some 3/4 years of study whilst in employment to obtain her Masters and we are proud that both of them had the determination to persevere and help themselves to do it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top