Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Brian
New Member!
Blackpool
Brian is male 

06-01-2015, 12:39 PM

Re: Back From Goa

Yes, and Trip Advisor is a good place to ask questions and see reviews.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:44 PM

I wonder if India generally is less popular as a destination since all the terrible reports of rape last year and there was another one recently of a young woman who was held by a gang for weeks and horribly abused until she managed to escape.
Goa does look nice but I have to admit I am slightly dubious.
Brian
New Member!
Blackpool
Brian is male 

06-01-2015, 12:52 PM

It is definitely less popular with Russians, but that is due to the Russian economy.
British short-stay visitor numbers are down quite substantially as well, but many think this is due to the increased visa charge.
A visa costs around Ģ110. A lot of extra money if there are 2, 3 or 4 of you going for a 2 week holiday.

Russians were the biggest tourist numbers, with Brits 2nd.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 01:39 PM

We had a lovely time in Goa, despite being put in the worst hotel in the world by Kuoni. The hotel was "The Sea Queen" close to Colva Village and it was absolutely disgusting, rats, cockroaches, filthy tablecloths, in fact filthy everything. Along a path at the side of the hotel were some shacks where the hotel owner kept his prostitutes, a constant stream of dubious characters were up and down there day and night. A book could be written about this hotel and the experiences we had, along with others, there.
We did check out other hotels in the area and they were really nice and very clean. After the Sea Queen experience I will add that we and all others who were on this particular holiday got a full refund from Kuoni.
Goa itself we loved, it could be a culture shock for some people, you do see some pretty disturbing sights. Since nobody would even think of eating in the hotel we mostly all walked the mile or so into Colva village and ate at the Williams hotel or one of the other various eating places there. Some people got the inevitable "runs" but I literally lived on egg and chips for 3 weeks and I was okay. We took some trips out, all of which we enjoyed, we were out all day every day because of course nobody wanted to stay around the vile hotel. I presume it has changed much since our trip there which must be at least 20 years ago now. One thing that always amused me was the fact that almost all the locals we met denied being Indian, they all said they were Portuguese ! I donīt think I would return to Goa but I would like to go to Kerula.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 02:14 PM

I don"t think I would fancy it, have heard there is quite a hedonistic lifestyle there.

OOOO NO.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 03:44 AM

Sorry to say as nice as India/Goa may be it is the last place I would visit. This is purely because I hate the smell of curry and I don't want to go anywhere when having an injection against anything one might get. Yes I am very religious about this, a devout coward.

Also there are many places in Scandinavia-the continent- Canada etc to keep me happy I have not seen yet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sorry to say as nice as India/Goa may be it is the last place I would visit. This is purely because I hate the smell of curry and I don't want to go anywhere when having an injection against anything one might get. Yes I am very religious about this, a devout coward.

Also there are many places in Scandinavia-the continent- Canada etc to keep me happy I have not seen yet.
Have to say I agree with you in all this. I even had Indian colleagues who caught tummy upsets when returning home for a holiday, so you could bet your life I'd be struck down with something. And I too can't abide the smell of curries/spices.

I'm still trying to think of where to go for a decent holiday this year: too many choices, and too many places still unvisited.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 10:42 AM

From what I saw of Goa was nice if a bit scruffy in places-I ruptured my Achiles tendon on day 4 of a two week holiday so mostly hobbled around-thank goodness we were all inclusive.

Kerala is stunning,but again,terrible poverty in places-and it`s `dry` so booze tends to be a bit pricey-bottles under the table and drink from a tooth mug!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top