Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 04:46 PM

Re: forbidden city China inside courtyard

I would like to see the Terracotta army, the sheer scale of the site must be very inspiring. Interesting that the information boards has an english translation.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 05:15 PM

for you Nom

entrance to terra cotta army

copies you can buy first pic with tour guide

[URL=http://s169.photobucket.com/user/bazza104/media/DSC_3573Medium.jpg.html]
Terra Cotta horses

close up photographic wise you can't get near them

under repair

the army

APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Wonderful photo"s Realspeed, makes me want to visit.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Looks like a fantastic trip, I watched a program about the terracotta army a while back, it was so interesting and also sad when you realised how the poor people who made the terracotta army were treated and the dreadful conditions they lived in.
I was reading today about the problem in China of the imbalance in male/females because of the one child policy and because people only want boys. It's now such a big problem that it's going to affect China's economic future and they are worried about it.
Did you find that there are people in China who don't agree with the way animals are used for cures and medicines etc, they have a bad record in that respect.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2015, 07:51 PM

The politics Anita one does not come across in China as a tourist. Also one does not bring up such subjects, remember it is a communist state with secret police about anyway.We were advised not to go anywhere without the tour guide but I did sneak a couple of pictures of the back streets around the hotel. See pics above.

As long as you do what the tour guide says your ok. For example having given it thought afterwards, when we were having breakfast every morning a man just walked past the entrance to the dining room. All I can think he was a policeman checking to see we were where we should be, and I am sure it was not my imagination.

If you have never been it is so completely different from the western world. Just taking everything in ,from the food to the traffic to the sites is plenty enough to get on with. The tour guides we had were Mongolian and their rules on birth control are different from the Chinese anyway and not so restrictive, I did ask when I found out they were not Chinese.
You are entirely in the tour guide hands unless you can read Chinese, so getting even onto a bus you could find yourself anywhere.

Yes the poor are very poor to the extent that on the way to the great wall we went through a lot of countyside. We had to stop on several occassions while the peasants remove branches pulled from trees and laid out to dry on the road , These were used for heating and lighting.
I have far too many pictures to put on here and all i can say go see for yourself, you won't be disapointed. Best go as individual and get the personal attention, not with a group.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2015, 08:42 PM

Thanks RS, a really good insight.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-01-2015, 09:08 PM

In Zian the tour we did included a visit to the top theatre as well. Yes it was a crammed in go go go type tour. So my wife could get better pictures, I left my camera in the hotel, she decided to sit on the main steps leading to the stage. All was ok UNTIL she had a tap on her shoulder. Turning around she was holding up the Emperior-Empress- and all his revenue of 20/30 people trying to get on stage, OOOOOOOOOPS; big time.

Needless to say me being such a kind hearted person pissed myself laughing.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:39 PM

Fantastic, fascinating pictures RS. Would love to visit if I could my head around the time spent flying.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-02-2015, 07:47 PM

What I would advise is go with an open mind and don't try and compare with what you are used to in UK. For example a 4* hotel over there is like a 2*+ over here.
The standard of living due to low wages is not what we would call acceptable when you get out into the countryside and see how people live.

On the other hand they will do everything possible for you to enjoy the holiday.
If you go to a bazaar as most tourist places have if you intend to make a purchase pretend your not interested . The usual trinket opener is " You buy $5", the will eventually drop down to a few cents, it is actually quite amusing seeing how quickly the prices drop.

If you go expecting the same as here in the UK you will be disappointed but accept what they have to offer and you will have a great time.

One palace we had a 16 course meal in, and yes the walls are gold leaf

Whole families use these if better off money wise

[URL=http://s169.photobucket.com/user/bazza104/media/DSC_3267800x600.jpg.html][IMG]

Going around old Bejing which is now preserved. The peddle fell off so the guy jumped off the bike and out of a shop ran someone ele and put a new one on in less than 5 munites, I can't see that happening in halfords.

Throne chair

Jvs2015
New Member!
philippines
Jvs2015 is female 

26-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top