Join for free
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:09 PM

Cuba?

Hubby is keen we book a holiday on Cuba early June. I'm not sure that is a good time to go, wet, humid and possibly insecty? Am I being a wet blanket, does anyone have any experience of the place at that time. We'd book a comfy hotel, but is it a bit third worldy as well?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 01:24 AM

Re: Cuba?

I went back in the early 90s, I think it was around the same time of year. It wasn't wet when I was there. Hotels were fine, if a bit over enthusiastic in their musical welcomes! As for third worldy - some areas definitely are, but if you book into a comfortable hotel you don't need to experience that if you don't want to. I was there for diving so didn't see a huge amount of the island, but what I did see was worth it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by PennyW ->
but is it a bit third worldy as well?
Not 'third worldy' more like 'tenth worldy' seriously, there is nothing there, you talk about comfy hotel, there are none, it has been a bankrupt country for decades and a puppet of the USSR and the people have virtually no medical services and mostly no money.

OK Castro is dead and whoever has his place is allegedly trying to drag the country into the modern world but it's not going to happen overnight, in the mean time best avoided.

Oh yes the climate is hot and humid and the hotel air conditioners don't work What a surprise
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Hubby wouldn't listen to me, but he had almost the identical conversation with someone at work so that plan was shelved and we are off to Crete instead!
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:52 PM

Glad to hear it . Crete sounds like a better bet

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top