Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Long-Stay Winter Breaks

We knew some people who lived in Valencia Province in Spain some years ago - pensioners - and they went on a Spanish Pensioners Christmas Deal in Benidorm, which they thoroughly enjoyed with meals out and a show.

While they were there they met lots of UK Pensioners on special long-stay breaks from the UK who were staying from 21 days to anything up to 3 months on extremely good rates which not only gave them a break from the UK Winter but actually did them a power of good and, apparently, the cost wasn't that much more than what they saved by not having to pay their extortionate energy bills.

Some did this every year but I cannot find anything thing like that now on the internet that is beyond October 2015.

The problem seems to be the advanced bookings because so many of these sites don't foresee that potential customers just might like to plan-ahead!

Has anyone on this forum ever been on an extended Winter Break, (21 days or more) in Spain or anywhere else for that matter?

If so, how did you find out all about it? stevmk2
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Re: Long-Stay Winter Breaks

My brother-in-law spends January to March in an apartment in Spain, a different place each year, and it costs around £100 per week to rent a two or three bedroom place. We've stayed with them and they've had some nice apartments. I think they book with Owners Direct. They've already booked for next year!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 07:58 AM

It's something I've always wanted to do but my car MOT/service is in February and kinda gets in the way.

Damn!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
It's something I've always wanted to do but my car MOT/service is in February and kinda gets in the way.

Damn!
Don't you get 3 months to redo rego?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
My brother-in-law spends January to March in an apartment in Spain, a different place each year, and it costs around £100 per week to rent a two or three bedroom place. We've stayed with them and they've had some nice apartments. I think they book with Owners Direct. They've already booked for next year!!
Now that sounds familiar!

I knew a lot of people in Spain renting out places in various times of the year in a lot of different places up to 2008 but the site got sold and became subscription only so I couldn't access the forum anymore unless i was an owner!

Pity really but I still have loads of info on Spain on a flash drive!

Thanks! stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Not myself but when I was in Goa(India) I met several folk who were staying for a long time-late October through to March. All inclusive and the weekly rate was less than it would cost to be at home+the sun and pool.

And ,of course, because they were well known by the staff they always got a sun bed and an umbrella.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't you get 3 months to redo rego?
No Bruce! If it's due, it's due, and the details go on to the police database so they can catch you for it if your vehicle flags up on the ANPR (automatic number plate recognition).

You can only start getting the MOT done from the beginning of the month it's due.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 10:04 PM

You might find something of interest here Steve.

http://www.thinkspain.com/costa-blan...g-term-rental/

or here

http://www.pmrspain.com/en/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
No Bruce! If it's due, it's due, and the details go on to the police database so they can catch you for it if your vehicle flags up on the ANPR (automatic number plate recognition).

You can only start getting the MOT done from the beginning of the month it's due.
I meant that if you are not going to use it don't you have 3 months to get it reregistered before it needs to go over the pits?

Actually I do remember a friend in the UK getting fined for just having an unregisterd car parked outside his house, that is quite legal here, you just mustn't drive it (except for a rego check)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

11-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
!

Has anyone on this forum ever been on an extended Winter Break, (21 days or more) in Spain or anywhere else for that matter?

If so, how did you find out all about it? stevmk2
If the criteria is 21 days or more, then I am on an extended autumn break in Malaysia and Thailand for about five weeks. I had a similar spring 35 day break in August which also took in Myanmar.

Tomorrow am driving from Ayutthaya to Hua Hin where I will spend a few days before returning to Malaysia (the problem 5with Thailand is that if you enter by a land border you only get a 14 day visa). The next day am going down to Johor Bahru and perhaps a quick visit to Singapore, then leisurely drive north via Malacca and Ipoh, a visit to Penang for a few days (a favourite place). All interspersed with stays at friend's homes.

I generally stay at 3 or occasionally 4 star hotels or homestays which are cheap enough but I like a bit of comfort, food is really cheap as is travel. When I get home my pension and super has accumulated so I am better of than when I left. Retirement is such fun isn't it?

Anyway that is my longstay break, though it will still be over 20℃ when I get home.

As for how did I find out about it? The interweb thingy and friends.

I return to god's own country at Easter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top