Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Re: A few photos from Namibia

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Great pictures Ania, loved all the elephants especially.
The Dead Valley pictures gave me the creeps though, what an awful desolate place. Do you know the history of it?
I know what you mean, but if you are actually there it has an incredible stark beauty. The pictures don't do it justice.

About 1000 years ago there used to be water there. Then the dunes formed and cut off the water flow to the area so it dried up. The trees died, but as there is not even enough moisture in the air for them to rot they have stayed standing and been scorched by the sun.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:09 PM

Very interesting photographs Ania
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:16 PM

Lovely photos. There is something really special about Africa, when I was there I couldnīt wait to leave, each time I left I couldnīt wait to get back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I know what you mean, but if you are actually there it has an incredible stark beauty. The pictures don't do it justice.

About 1000 years ago there used to be water there. Then the dunes formed and cut off the water flow to the area so it dried up. The trees died, but as there is not even enough moisture in the air for them to rot they have stayed standing and been scorched by the sun.

Thankyou. I never knew that. Isn't nature strange sometimes.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 11:33 PM

For anyone interested, I'm posting a few photos from my wonderful Namibian trip. I started off in the Namib Desert in the south, where the light was constantly changing on the sea of dunes and there was sporadic wildlife passing:

There is a fascinating bird called the social weaver, and they build huge nests together, getting bigger with each generation:

Some passing wildlife:

And the stunning Dead Valley where ancient dead trees still stand amidst the dunes:

bruce could learn a thing or two from you!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 12:20 AM

You're so lucky! What a super holiday! I loved living in Africa, wish I could go back! Good luck with the volunteering!
Terra
New Member!
USA
Terra is female 

05-05-2015, 01:16 AM

Great photographs. It looks like an intriguing place to visit.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:24 AM

never been there but I have enjoyed "out of Africa " many times!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Sorted! I messed up the image posting at first.

(Why is it that if you manually copy and paste the image address it doesn't work, even though it appears to insert exactly the same as when you 'copy image address'???)

So interesting. (the photos - not the problem)
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Fantastic photos thanks for sharing, really want to go now, the landscape is so unique, like nowhere else on earth.
You captured it so well in the pictures.
The poaching is terrible, rhino horn is worth more than gold now, elephants are being poached too. It's thought there may be virtually no large animals left in the wild in 20 year just a few in reserves.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top